The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 March 2021, 11:12 AM   #1
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
5196 being discontinued?

Hey all! I usually hang out over in the Rolex forum, but I’ve decided to consolidate some of my collection and go for a grail of mine, the 5196R. Tried one on today and it’s amazing. Everything I hoped for. I promised my wife I’d sell a few pieces before I purchase it, so in the meantime I’ve been browsing around at photos and reviews of the watch. In the process I have seen some anecdotal comments on Instagram and in forums that the 5196 was going to be discontinued, some of comments dating back to 2019. It obviously wasn’t discontinued then if I tried one on at an AD today. So I’m curious if there are still rumors of that, or something official that I missed. I’d hate to finally pull the trigger on a grail only to have to updated immediately thereafter. It’s been very similar for a long time, but I don’t want to miss out on a new movement, exhibition caseback, or a 1mm size increase (all things that I wouldn’t mind).

When does Patek usually announce new models each year? Anything scheduled for 2021 yet?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and info!
JayDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 5196R/G/J are not on the discontinued list of 2021, i.e., they will still be available for purchase at the AD at least until April 2022.

Patek used to release new watches during BaselWorld in March. This year the main bulk of new release will be at Watches & Wonders in April, although there will be minor releases during different parts of the year.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 12:44 PM   #3
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The 5196R/G/J are not on the discontinued list of 2021, i.e., they will still be available for purchase at the AD at least until April 2022.

Patek used to release new watches during BaselWorld in March. This year the main bulk of new release will be at Watches & Wonders in April, although there will be minor releases during different parts of the year.
Ah, so by not being on the discontinued list, we can be sure they are not being updated at Watches & Wonders or in another release in 2021?
Old 18 March 2021, 12:53 PM   #4
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
It’s not on a discontinued list so it will be around; however, I won’t be surprised if they add another variation of the Calatrava. Patek typically adds something with the Caltrava each year that could relate to 5196, 5227, etc.

This manual wind movement has been due for an update for many years now. Mainly due to the actual size of the movement. I won’t been surprised if is refreshed within the next few years.

Given all that, if the 5196 speaks to you, go for it. The design will always be a classic and if they do upgrade the movement, you will own one of the last produced movements of a very important part of Patek history.

Also no guarantees the newer watch is the better one.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 01:09 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDH View Post
Ah, so by not being on the discontinued list, we can be sure they are not being updated at Watches & Wonders or in another release in 2021?
We can't be sure. There could always be subtle updates to the 5196. For instance, the font/size of logo may change, the buckle may change and/or even the movement. Even if there is no change during W&W in April, the updates could still happen anytime during the year. There is no certain answer to your question at this juncture. Only Mr Stern and his product & development team have the answer.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 07:31 AM   #6
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDH View Post
Hey all! I usually hang out over in the Rolex forum, but I’ve decided to consolidate some of my collection and go for a grail of mine, the 5196R. Tried one on today and it’s amazing. Everything I hoped for. I promised my wife I’d sell a few pieces before I purchase it, so in the meantime I’ve been browsing around at photos and reviews of the watch. In the process I have seen some anecdotal comments on Instagram and in forums that the 5196 was going to be discontinued, some of comments dating back to 2019. It obviously wasn’t discontinued then if I tried one on at an AD today. So I’m curious if there are still rumors of that, or something official that I missed. I’d hate to finally pull the trigger on a grail only to have to updated immediately thereafter. It’s been very similar for a long time, but I don’t want to miss out on a new movement, exhibition caseback, or a 1mm size increase (all things that I wouldn’t mind).

When does Patek usually announce new models each year? Anything scheduled for 2021 yet?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and info!
first of all congratulations on being a convert (from Rolex to PP that is )
the 5196 is a great PP piece. it is an evolution of the ref 96 which was launched in the 1940s. it the DNA of patek: extremly thin, manual wound, no date, symmetrical dial. i believe the case is 37mm which on paper looks small but because the watch is so thin it looks nice.

i like your idea of conslidating up, i do the same. nothing i hate more than having watches around that i don't wear enough to justify the price.
i rather conslidate into less pieces that i wear more often
Old 21 March 2021, 07:21 AM   #7
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
first of all congratulations on being a convert (from Rolex to PP that is )
the 5196 is a great PP piece. it is an evolution of the ref 96 which was launched in the 1940s. it the DNA of patek: extremly thin, manual wound, no date, symmetrical dial. i believe the case is 37mm which on paper looks small but because the watch is so thin it looks nice.

i like your idea of conslidating up, i do the same. nothing i hate more than having watches around that i don't wear enough to justify the price.
i rather conslidate into less pieces that i wear more often

Thanks! Yes, that’s the same thought I have. I can only devote so much wrist time to each watch and it gets diluted quickly with more watches in the collection. I’d rather have a smaller number of nicer pieces that I can spend more time with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 August 2021, 07:24 AM   #8
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Yesterday my AD said the 5196 has been discontinued and he had been fielding calls from people looking for one.

Has anyone else heard too?
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 04:55 AM   #9
scurfa
"TRF" Member

That would be tragic considering it’s the only Patek in the line up with historical classic looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 August 2021, 09:37 PM   #10
bob101
"TRF" Member

My favourite calatrava, beautiful in any precious metal for sure. I’d buy it while you can…
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote