The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2021, 12:47 AM   #1
DLW1617
"TRF" Member

Watch Winder Recs - Pepsi Tiffany GMT

Hello All. New to the forum and have a couple questions for folks out there.

I am looking to purchase a winder for my submariner and curious what brands people use and recommend. Do people prefer to spend the money for something nice, or are cheaper options good enough.

Separately - I have a 1985 Pepsi Tiffany GMT. I am starting to wear it less often given its value, so it often stop ticking between wearing it. For a vintage rolex that will Not be worn often, should I keep it in a winder so it’s always ticking or is it ok to leave sitting idle for longer periods of time?

Thanks so much.
DLW1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:43 AM   #2
DLW1617
"TRF" Member

Hello All - No responses yet so wanted to send another post. Thanks all in advance.
DLW1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:52 AM   #3
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Keep them serviced and there's no reason to keep them on a winder, other than convenience. Modern lubricants won't gum up and the less they run, the longer they will last, so let them stop and sit.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:54 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

No winder == no wear. You really only need to wind it up once in a while, say monthly if you worry about lubricant getting stuck or something.

If you want to spend the money, get WOLF, or just don't use a winder if it's a daily watch.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 04:34 AM   #5
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Waste and wear out the movement before it's " time " put it on a winder.
Just wear when you need and give it a rest.
Old 7 December 2021, 10:17 AM   #6
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I picked up a wolf cub winder, single. its been handy to keep watches in rotation and gives them a rest too.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:22 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I wouldn't keep a vintage watch on a winder. Maybe just give it few hours' spin (or preferably wrist time) once every couple of months or so.
Old 7 December 2021, 10:45 AM   #8
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Unless its a casio or a gshock and you get a kick out of watching it turn around endlessly, a watch wider isn’t a positive addition to mechanical watch ownership.

Lets put it this way. It’s similar to installing a rolling road in your garage and leaving the car running on it 24/7. Yes, the car will be warmed up and ready to drive when you decide to go anywhere, but that odometer will notch up the miles while you sleep and like any mechanical machine, you’ll be wearing it all out sooner….

My only exception to this rule would be if I owned a perpetual calendar watch in say a two watches collection. Since its a serious hassle resetting those variants, it could make sense to keep that watch always wound during the odd days its out if rotation.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Keep them serviced and there's no reason to keep them on a winder, other than convenience. Modern lubricants won't gum up and the less they run, the longer they will last, so let them stop and sit.
As Said convenience is the main reason. But otherwise just convenience. Personally, I like winding my watches I guess it is part of being a WIS.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:47 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW1617 View Post
Hello All. New to the forum and have a couple questions for folks out there.

I am looking to purchase a winder for my submariner and curious what brands people use and recommend. Do people prefer to spend the money for something nice, or are cheaper options good enough.

Separately - I have a 1985 Pepsi Tiffany GMT. I am starting to wear it less often given its value, so it often stop ticking between wearing it. For a vintage rolex that will Not be worn often, should I keep it in a winder so it’s always ticking or is it ok to leave sitting idle for longer periods of time?

Thanks so much.
IMHO automatic watches are designed to be worn by people only, and not on a expensive box machine winder, and while on a machine its in the same position for hours,days or even weeks,months .Now most people move in a huge diversity of manners, causing a fairly even distribution of motion of the watches winding mechanism and escapement positions.Now because a watch winder is normally limited to a very small number of directions and types of movement normally just back and throe.

IMHO a badly designed winder could in theory damage a watch and cause wear from excessive and repetitive movement on the same plane and axis to the escapement wheel pinions.And today because the oils used in most modern watches today including Rolex, and when properly serviced are not very prone to clotting or coagulating like the old mineral oils. So its not a problem to just rest a watch for a month or longer then just wind reset and go, must take all of 30 seconds to do.

But if stored for longer than a month or two then myself would recommend to just give them a small wind just to start movement just to keep the tiny amount of oil around the movement.Think of it this way if you had a choice of two watches one thats been on a winder for a few years,or a watch that was new old stock unused unworn which one would you choose for myself not the one sat on the machine winder thing.

While there is no significant evidence that a good watch winder will either save or harm your watch cannot see any point to have it running if its not needed to tell time on wrist .Over the many years of dealing with RSC Bexly UK and talking to the various watchmakers there, who did not recommend watch-winders for any of the Rolex line up.Its quite funny now that Rolex brought out a Rolex branded winder but made by a third party,its simple today many watch winders = big £££$$$ and huge profits.IMHO many watch-winders today have a high quality finish on the outside (to justify the extremely high price),but hiding some very cheaply mass-produced insides. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW1617 View Post
Hello All - No responses yet so wanted to send another post. Thanks all in advance.
Sorry. I managed to miss your OP.

I have gone through a few makes and now use Swiss KubiK Masterbox. Small, well built, user friendly and will run on a battery for 2-3 years.

The Masterbox is programmable but the default settings wind all my watches.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:20 PM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Mine are always on a winder, I like to see them spinning around.

If you want something nice for decoration go for ‘Scatola del Tempo’ or ‘Buben & Zorweg’.

These cheap winders are good for in the closet, out of sight.