The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2021, 01:07 AM   #1
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Normal behavior for Daytona?

Last week, I noticed my Daytona (116519 from 2017) had lost some time in the watch box after winding and setting. A closer look revealed it had just stopped running. The running second hand was stopped just short of the 60.

Once I got it running and set properly (pulled crown, set time got it moving), I again noticed it had stopped within an hour or two, again with the seconds hand stopped in the same spot, just short of 60.

I put it on the timegrapher and it's telling time accurately (+1 sec) but something is stopping it from running (or the fourth wheel at least?) continuously.

I took it to the service center in Time Machine/Bucherer in NYC where a tech looked at it, and they gave it backing saying nothing is wrong and it didn't need service. I was pretty surprised by this, and was hoping they'd take it in and give it a full servicing while it's still under warranty.

I plan on wearing the watch all day today to see if it stops while I'm wearing it, in which case I'd take it back to servicing and insist.

The watch has been trouble free otherwise, is this a known issue? Additionally, is that reaction from a service center normal?
ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 08:42 PM   #2
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Since assistance so far has been rather limited, let's move this to General Discussion.
Old 6 December 2021, 09:09 PM   #4
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Hiw much are you winding it and how long is it running?
Old 6 December 2021, 09:44 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Full wind and observe. If it repeats the problem I would go to the RSC in NYC and see what they tell you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:14 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I would doubt if there is anything wrong now movements like the Daytona needs at least 60 full crown turns clockwise only. Then off wrist should run well over 60 hours before stopping, and remember wearing a watch dont wind the watch, its wrist movement that winds the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:19 PM   #7
drrd
"TRF" Member

Daytona, YM II and Sky Dweller are all RSC-only for servicing, that’s my understanding.

Surprised a tech outside of RSC offered to check it out.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 11:45 PM   #8
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Since assistance so far has been rather limited, let's move this to General Discussion.
Thanks, I fear I'm not sure how to adequately describe the issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Hiw much are you winding it and how long is it running?
If it's gone unworn for some time, I'll get it out of the box to give it a wind (40-50 turns?) - and put it back in the watch box. That's when I noticed about an hour later it had stopped, and again the seconds hand is always in the same spot.

I wore it over the weekend, however, and had no issues. So I'm guessing it's something to do with the position its being stored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Daytona, YM II and Sky Dweller are all RSC-only for servicing, that’s my understanding.

Surprised a tech outside of RSC offered to check it out.
I went to the new boutique in meat packing district, but was told by them to take it to Bucherer uptown (which is an AD) - they have a fancy service center there.
Old 6 December 2021, 11:47 PM   #9
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I would doubt if there is anything wrong now movements like the Daytona needs at least 60 full crown turns clockwise only. Then off wrist should run well over 60 hours before stopping, and remember wearing a watch dont wind the watch, its wrist movement that winds the watch.
This was my thinking as well, but winding the watch from empty, then returning it to watch box, it was stopping after an hour or so, each time with the seconds hand at the same spot. While wearing, the watch runs fine and doesn't stop, it's just when stored, dial up that I notice.
Old 7 December 2021, 02:00 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I mostly rotate daily between my 3 year old BLRO and 2 year old steel Daytona. Key here is that they are WORN every other day for at least 14-15 hours. Both are within the 2 second bogey, I would expect them to stop running if they sat unused for days at a time. I think your issue is the watch’s idle time, try wearing it several days in a row and I bet it’s fine.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:08 AM   #11
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I mostly rotate daily between my 3 year old BLRO and 2 year old steel Daytona. Key here is that they are WORN every other day for at least 14-15 hours. Both are within the 2 second bogey, I would expect them to stop running if they sat unused for days at a time. I think your issue is the watch’s idle time, try wearing it several days in a row and I bet it’s fine.
Yeah that's a good idea. This is generally a 'for special occasions' wear for me, but maybe I need to start working it into the rotation more consistently (not the worst thing in the world, I suppose).
Old 7 December 2021, 02:11 AM   #12
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctzn View Post
I put it on the timegrapher and it's telling time accurately (+1 sec) but something is stopping it from running (or the fourth wheel at least?) continuously.
I'm a bit confused by your description. Are you saying that while the seconds hand is not moving, at that same instant, the timegrapher is hearing ticks and reporting a good daily rate?

You indicated that you first noticed that the watch had lost some time, so presumably that was referring to the hour/minute hands, not the seconds hand. So what is actually happening? Are the hour and minute hands still advancing, yet falling behind even while the timegrapher is displaying a proper rate, or have all hands stopped moving while the watch is still ticking?

Sorry, just not clear on what you are seeing here, maybe clarifying that will help get you some better input. Either way though, all of these scenarios point to one and only one obvious outcome: watch goes in for service.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:41 AM   #13
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I'm a bit confused by your description. Are you saying that while the seconds hand is not moving, at that same instant, the timegrapher is hearing ticks and reporting a good daily rate?

You indicated that you first noticed that the watch had lost some time, so presumably that was referring to the hour/minute hands, not the seconds hand. So what is actually happening? Are the hour and minute hands still advancing, yet falling behind even while the timegrapher is displaying a proper rate, or have all hands stopped moving while the watch is still ticking?

Sorry, just not clear on what you are seeing here, maybe clarifying that will help get you some better input. Either way though, all of these scenarios point to one and only one obvious outcome: watch goes in for service.
That part wasn't clear, sorry. I thought it was losing time because the watch was simply stopped. I wound it, set it, put it in the watch box and when I glanced at it some time later I noticed it was way behind, when in reality it was simply stopped.

I got it running again before timing it, but given I had just wound it within a few hours of it stopping, I'm guessing the mainspring still had plenty of wind in it.
Old 7 December 2021, 02:50 AM   #14
JC316
"TRF" Member

So the problem is that even after fulling winding the watch, the movement is stopping approximately an hour after you take it off wrist. But runs fine at +1 spd continuously if you keep it on wrist?

Sounds like your Daytona is jealous and is desperate need of more wrist time!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote