The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2021, 02:20 PM   #1
Mike I
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona Mystique

Why is the Daytona the most sought after Rolex?
Mike I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:30 PM   #2
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Because of the 25k in profit when you flip it. No other reason.
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:39 PM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I didn’t buy mine with any intention of selling it for profit.
Old 9 December 2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Paul Newman auction.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:46 PM   #5
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Paul Newman auction.
Absolutely right. this is the root cause.

Then Rolex had a bunch of releases in the last 4 years that kept everyone's eyes on the brand.

Demand remained way higher than supply.

Then coronavirus happened.

Then 5711 discontinuation happened, 15202 discontinuation happened.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:47 PM   #6
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Me either I’ve owned two Daytona’s and I loved them both. But the reason it’s so polarizing is because of its value in the secondary market and because of the inherent difficulty in getting one at an ad.
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Because it is the most hyped
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 03:12 PM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Paul Newman auction.
The Daytona Mystique started way way before that auction. The original handwind Rolex chronographs and Daytonas were slow sellers in the 60’s through mid 80’s. Then Rolex came out with the automatic 16520 with Zenith based movement in the late 80’s. Almost simultaneously an Italian magazine had Paul Newman on its cover sporting his 4 digit Daytona and almost overnight it became the “IT watch.”
Except for a very brief period around the last big economic downturn, the steel Daytona has been a grail ever since, doled out by AD’s as a reward of sorts to its most loyal and well spending customers and the secondary market price has always been above retail. In the last few years gold and tutone Daytonas which once were relatively available have also entered into the hype.
“Mystique” aside, it has one of the best chronograph movements available, is very slim and well proportioned (it is not a big watch) and of course retains its value.
I am on steel Daytona #4 having had all three automatic references. It feels good to get one at retail, I wear it every other day mostly. That said, I would not pay “market value” for one. If my dealer hadn’t sold me one I would just be without one.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 03:22 PM   #9
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

It remains a classic in its design, ease of use and has evolved into a better and better watch with each gradual improvement.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:02 PM   #10
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Complex movement, low production, sub dials…

Then social media hit, so that magnified the hype.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:08 PM   #11
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

For the reasons above, it’s simply a commodity now, easily transferable and tangible.
Old 9 December 2021, 05:20 PM   #12
grimps
"TRF" Member

They've never made them in big numbers , the Daytona was hard to get long before this current hype, that being said 10 years ago it wasn't impossible like it is today
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:46 PM   #13
Neom
Banned

History behind it, the Rolex brand, only Chrono offered by the brand etc etc
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:59 PM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Mine is a keeper and I love it.
Secondary value irrelevant to me
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:09 PM   #15
mew
"TRF" Member

The steel Daytona was never an easy watch to get hold of pre-hype. Add social media/hype/easy money to the mix and you would get where we are today.
mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:23 PM   #16
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
because it's kind of a unisex watch, both man and woman are target customers.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:22 PM   #17
nollie85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post

Pretty much. Because of the profit margin everyone wants one for an immediate $25k.

Some ppl cant even save $25k after working 1 or 2 years. Imagine getting that as instant profit doing zero except buying a watch with a credit card, walking down the road to a gray dealer and instantly making $25k or whatever. 99% of ppl would do it.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 09:25 PM   #18
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was one of those who didn’t get the draw…until I did. I told my AD a while ago I had no interest in it, so I won’t be one of his customers bugging him for one.
Since I didn’t have a Chrono in my collection I thought it would be a good way to get into another brand…frankly I struggled with everything else I tried (almost bought a Zenith and considered VC).
Then I saw one in the wild and had an opportunity to try one on…and I now own one at retail.
The draw for me is definitely the size, but also the more casual nature compared to the chronos I was looking at. It is also my first and only white dial…at retail it is fairly priced and there’s no way I would personally pay current secondary prices for it, but I love it. To be fair, I picked it up last Friday so definitely honeymoon phase, but as I said I ‘get it’ now…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 09:46 PM   #19
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I was one of those who didn’t get the draw…until I did. I told my AD a while ago I had no interest in it, so I won’t be one of his customers bugging him for one.
Since I didn’t have a Chrono in my collection I thought it would be a good way to get into another brand…frankly I struggled with everything else I tried (almost bought a Zenith and considered VC).
Then I saw one in the wild and had an opportunity to try one on…and I now own one at retail.
The draw for me is definitely the size, but also the more casual nature compared to the chronos I was looking at. It is also my first and only white dial…at retail it is fairly priced and there’s no way I would personally pay current secondary prices for it, but I love it. To be fair, I picked it up last Friday so definitely honeymoon phase, but as I said I ‘get it’ now…
dont fool yourself, you didnt buy your daytona at retail. you actually bought it at a premium which is what you spent to build AD relationship.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:01 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post
Why is the Daytona the most sought after Rolex?
Well sort after by some yes, but today the Daytona must be the most hyped Rolex ever. When first launched way back in 2000 it was hard to get at retail and in this timeframe you could buy the TT version for the same price the SS was selling. But once the so called celebrities started to wear them, Daytona fever started. Now a watch thats almost 22 years old and basically only cosmetically changed over that period, the hype a has escalated 10 fold and many today buy the hype to wear it. And while high hype is generated by the likes of so called social media, and these social media buyers are willing pay crazy money for them. The various sellers will be jumping up for joy as to be able to extract as much cash from those willing to pay but perhaps one day the bubble will burst.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:07 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Daytona is a cool watch. Limited production and availability through AD channels and you have the formula for desirability.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:36 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Complex movement, low production, sub dials…

Then social media hit, so that magnified the hype.
Hardly a complex movement fact the Daytona cal 4130 has fewer parts that most all chronograph movements and built to be serviced quite easy. But agree about the hype and I would rate the cal 4130 movement in the top 5 of all chronograph movements ever made to date. As for low production well its been going since 2000 and now almost 22 years old, so there must be quite a few thousand or million plus of them in this world today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:45 PM   #23
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Because it is the most hyped
This
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:50 PM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No mystique, just hype. Was not sought after at all for a long time as it broke no new ground, used an outsourced movements, and was just another chrono out there in the age when the speedy pro, el primero, navitimer, and monaco were the giants. Then came the hype and marketing machine, the crown on top and their is your so called mystique. Folks have trouble calling balls and strikes with Rolex. It’s excessively flashy, has poor legibility, but excellent proportions, fantastic movement (though was not more accurate than my old navitimer) water resistant and versatile to wear.

As Mark Twain commented, In order to make a man or a boy covet a thing it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain. It’s a part of human psychology and business know this well. So the mystique is all smoke and mirrors I’m afraid.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 11:00 PM   #25
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Sometime before the Newman auction it got popular. Not exactly sure how or when. But I recall the phrase “the Daytona is not a watch to be bought, it is a watch that Rolex and the dealer rewards it’s special clients with.” Then the auction escalated it and then the current frenzy took it to a whole other level.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 11:06 PM   #26
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I believe Rolex singlehandedly orchestrated the hype around the Daytona so that all of the fanboi negativity could be focused on one small part of their product line, enabling the rest of the Rolex line to bask in the inherent goodness and glow of the brand!
Old 9 December 2021, 11:08 PM   #27
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
No mystique, just hype. Was not sought after at all for a long time as it broke no new ground, used an outsourced movements, and was just another chrono out there in the age when the speedy pro, el primero, navitimer, and monaco were the giants. Then came the hype and marketing machine, the crown on top and their is your so called mystique. Folks have trouble calling balls and strikes with Rolex. It’s excessively flashy, has poor legibility, but excellent proportions, fantastic movement (though was not more accurate than my old navitimer) water resistant and versatile to wear.

As Mark Twain commented, In order to make a man or a boy covet a thing it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain. It’s a part of human psychology and business know this well. So the mystique is all smoke and mirrors I’m afraid.
In what world is the Daytona (at least in SS) excessively flashy? It's not flashy whatsoever.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 11:13 PM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Before the scarcity and hype gets you,

You are intrigued by A Rolex with a chrono complication.

Your favorite brand with a dial and complication that sets it apart.
A rolex watch with buttons you can press…surely this is the one I must own.

Then you go to a dealer and are told you can’t have it. For the 16520 this scarcity may have been organic due to the complexities of acquiring and modifying the zenith movement.

Ever since Rolex started producing its own movement, the scarcity is by design.
Old 10 December 2021, 12:00 AM   #29
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
In what world is the Daytona (at least in SS) excessively flashy? It's not flashy whatsoever.

I’ve owned a couple in my time. Looks like the back of a CD. The PCL, shiny ceramic, refrigerator white dial (black dial is definitely more muted) Look at they compared to the Zenith SS Daytona-it’s quite different. Not sure why they turned a tool watch as it was in the early 80’s into the Yacht-master.

I felt it so flashy I gave mine to my wife. I recall walking in Princeton one day and a dude, like no joke 15 feet out looks at me and says nice watch. That may be what others want to hear, but not me. Not long after passed it onto my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:10 AM   #30
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I didn’t buy mine with any intention of selling it for profit.
+1

Quote:
Paul Newman auction.
This was what raised the Daytona’s profile beyond Rolex anoraks. That sale turned it into something to covet by those other than collectors and other than those that used them as a tool watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
It remains a classic in its design, ease of use and has evolved into a better and better watch with each gradual improvement.
No question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neom View Post
History behind it, the Rolex brand, only Chrono offered by the brand etc etc
In my little tiny section of the world, sports car racing, it’s symbolic of the summit of competitive achievement, and it has been since before the hype and mystique began…
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote