The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I've seen others mention, what do we think now?

I would LOVE to see a BB58GMT pepsi. However, I know the 41 version does very well for Tudor so I can't see a need for them to produce one.

BUT, the BBB41 and 58 do have some crossover style so... maybe it is possible?

Anyway, the reason I'd like to hear your speculations is that I have a small wrist and the GMT41 is much too large for me. I also would not consider a BLRO because I'd never pay the premium, and even at retail, I doubt I'd wear it enough to justify the cost. So the Tudor would really be my top end for cost.

All this being said, I'm considering a dreaded homage piece by Steinhart. The 39mm version with "faux patina" look. ONLY because the size would fit and it's in the range of what I'm willing to spend. I like the darker blue and red of the bezel, it's close to the Tudor version and less "on the nose" of an homage than their BLRO "clone".

So my last question is, do I dare get an homage that's sort of an "in between" style. OR, do I wait a little longer and hope to see a Tudor 39mm version...
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 11:29 AM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Tudor needs to fix the current BB GMT in-house movement or switch to one that works before coming out with a BB58 GMT.

The current BB GMT is also a beast. Very thick. Part of what makes the BB58 the BB58 is the size and proportions. Tudor has a lot of work to do if they want to cram a reliable GMT movement in a BB58 case.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:31 AM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t get the Steinhart. I honestly don’t think you’ll be happy with it. My understanding is that it doesn’t have a GMT movement, only a rotating bezel.

Save up for a 16710.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:33 AM   #4
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Tudor needs to fix the current BB GMT in-house movement or switch to one that works before coming out with a BB58 GMT.

The current BB GMT is also a beast. Very thick. Part of what makes the BB58 the BB58 is the size and proportions. Tudor has a lot of work to do if they want to cram a reliable GMT movement in a BB58 case.
I agree with this point too. Which is another “pro” toward the Steinhart. The dimensions are basically the same as my BB58, which is my best fitting watch!
Old 27 December 2021, 11:35 AM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
I agree with this point too. Which is another “pro” toward the Steinhart. The dimensions are basically the same as my BB58, which is my best fitting watch!
I have a BB58 and 16710. They wear very similarly. I know the 16710 is very expensive compared to the Steinhart and even Tudor. But save up and be happy.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:37 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

I like the Tudor GMT. But not sure about a 58 version. If it does happen, it may end up thicker as well to accommodate both a GMT and date function so it won’t exactly be as thin as the Rolex BLRO. Keep in mind the Tudor case has fairly long lugs as well and that is more important to consider with regard to having small wrists.

With regard to the aforementioned date issue, it’s a wash. There are just as many long time owners who have never encountered the issues as those who have. Just ask dP
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a BB58 and 16710. They wear very similarly. I know the 16710 is very expensive compared to the Steinhart and even Tudor. But save up and be happy.
I like this idea as well. My only concern here is that the 5 digit references don’t have enough removable links to fit my wrist. Can permanent links be removed if needed for sizing?

Thanks for entertaining my quandaries.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:41 AM   #8
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2021, 11:45 AM   #9
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like this idea as well. My only concern here is that the 5 digit references don’t have enough removable links to fit my wrist. Can permanent links be removed if needed for sizing?

What size wrist do you have? I wear my 16710 with 4 links on both sides and it fits my 6.5” wrist perfectly. There’s also a ton of micro adjustment. I have an older 78360 bracelet.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:46 AM   #10
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I like the Tudor GMT. But not sure about a 58 version. If it does happen, it may end up thicker as well to accommodate both a GMT and date function so it won’t exactly be as thin as the Rolex BLRO. Keep in mind the Tudor case has fairly long lugs as well and that is more important to consider with regard to having small wrists.

With regard to the aforementioned date issue, it’s a wash. There are just as many long time owners who have never encountered the issues as those who have. Just ask dP
I’d argue there are more Tudor GMT owners that have never experienced the date issue. But those that have are already too many, IMO.
Old 27 December 2021, 11:47 AM   #11
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2021, 11:53 AM   #12
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613

Quote:

I’ve got the same issue with my 16613. To get it to fit perfect I need to have a permanent half link removed. I understand Rolliworks does this quite often.

If it was me, I’d save my cash and go Rolex or hold for Tudor to come out with something over the homage piece.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 12:14 PM   #13
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What size wrist do you have? I wear my 16710 with 4 links on both sides and it fits my 6.5” wrist perfectly. There’s also a ton of micro adjustment. I have an older 78360 bracelet.
My wrist is smaller between 5-5.5 (I have a disability that makes me very skinny). On both my SubC and BB58 I have 3 oyster links on each side plus the clasp hardware. The BB58 clasp is on the largest micro adjust while the sub is about half way down. This means I have all the removable links out on both sides on both watches :) VERY SKINNY lol.
Old 27 December 2021, 12:27 PM   #14
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

16710 with a modded bracelet or on NATO!