The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2022, 02:55 PM   #1
MalibuDriver
Banned

Explorer II Question

I bought my first Rolex in 2017 and have been reading these forums regularly ever since. But, until today I hadn't ever joined. Thanks to all of you for educating me for the last 5 years.

Since my first purchase I have purchased three more new from an AD (I'm lucky to have a relationship with and AD).

A couple weeks ago I went way out on a limb and purchased an Explorer II through an auction site (not eBay) with only 3 photos and the reference number 16570.

Prior to bidding on the watch I did some research on the mode number and learned that there were 4 "versions" of the reference number. The first version was made 1989-1997 and can be identified by the words "Swiss - T<25" at the bottom of the dial. Version 2 (1998/1999) only has "Swiss" at the bottom. Version 3 (1999-2005) has "Swiss Made" on the dial. The listing photos clearly showed "Swiss Made" so I was comfortable knowing that it was no older than 1999. When the watch arrived I eagerly removed the bracelet to see the serial number. It started with and E and was confused when I learned that E serial numbers are from 1990. The watch also came with a 78360 bracelet stamped O5. Bracelets with an O also are from 1990. So, why does the dial have "Swiss Made" if it's from 1990? My best guess is that the dial was, for some reason, swapped at some point. Can anybody think of another explanation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AFCF0B57-0976-4473-A83A-98DC24E3FFB7.jpeg (140.2 KB, 331 views)
MalibuDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Did it come with any original paperwork or service papers which may point to a dial change? If it is genuine, the plots on a Swiss Made dial will be super luminova and if the watch dates from 1990, the hands are likely to be trituium coated. I'd ask your AD to take a look at the movement as I believed that changed slightly during production.
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 08:17 PM   #3
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Possibly swapped at service?

what does the seller say?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 10:39 PM   #4
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

First of all, that watch looks really dirty but if you bid on it with eyes wide open then you would have known that already. These auction sites all have the caveat "buyer beware" before buying or bidding. But since you already have the watch, then that is now a moot point. Bring it to an RSC to have authenticated and then let them tell you if everything is kosher with the dial and the bracelet. Speculating right now does little good. When you do find out, I hope you get the peace of mind you seek.

Good luck.

Old 24 February 2022, 11:19 PM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Service dial. Not uncommon.
Old 24 February 2022, 11:21 PM   #6
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

SEL fitment looks really rough…
Old 24 February 2022, 11:30 PM   #7
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Laughing at that one ..
It’s been to war and then even more.
It tells a lot about the seller when they don’t even try to clean the watch just a little bit before taking pictures.

Old 25 February 2022, 10:37 AM   #8
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
The dial was replaced during service.
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:33 PM   #9
MalibuDriver
Banned

Thanks for all your responses. The seller was a company that sells seized and estate items. They say they guarantee the authenticity of the watch, but, they don't say anything more. I was planning on sending it to a non-Rolex watchmaker for an overhaul, but I think I should probably go to the RSC if only so that I can get a new bezel with the correct texture.
MalibuDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:41 PM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenFlyer View Post
Thanks for all your responses. The seller was a company that sells seized and estate items. They say they guarantee the authenticity of the watch, but, they don't say anything more. I was planning on sending it to a non-Rolex watchmaker for an overhaul, but I think I should probably go to the RSC if only so that I can get a new bezel with the correct texture.

I’d go with rsc so you can actually determine how badly that watch has been messed with inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote