The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2022, 07:32 AM   #1
Mifune
Banned

Solar Panels... wachagot?

SOLAR PANEL:
So I just went thru the SOLAR schpeel here at the house because I was understandably curious.

it all sounded wonderful and so... 'responsible'.

It wasn't as expensive and I thought it was going to be, but I have some serious questions.

Our quote was only $21k all in @ 3.99% for 20 years... barely a Skydweller on the secondary market, But when I priced the panels out myself and it only came to $4,000 (leaving $17k). Surely I am not going to do the job myself and according to the sales person, it's a four hour job and while there some other costs for wiring and an inverter (I will allot another 3$k) that leaves $14k... that's like $3500hr in labor.

So lets say, I am paying $100 a month for the system over 20 years, and my monthly payment for wired electricity is $100-$140 (summertime) a month over the same time period, it is basically a wash in terms of capital outlay, and it appears to me that I am paying $21,000 over 20 years for some over priced photovoltaic hardware to sit on my roof.
This current generation technology is getting older and older and is probably already outdated before its bolted to my roof.

At this point I don't think this is for me... I am not that 'energy conscience'.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 11:53 AM   #2
kulak
"TRF" Member

$21k would take me 15 years to break even not including interest or future utility increases. I’ll be waiting for it to make more financial sense.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 12:20 PM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I’m interested in this thread too. I just inherited a condo in AZ, am considering solar to offset the outrageous summer AC bills.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Also consider that the performance of the panels also degrades over time so you won't have much of a period where your investment is paid off and you're reaping the benefits. The panels you install today will barely charge a flashlight in 20 years.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 01:22 PM   #5
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
SOLAR PANEL:
So I just went thru the SOLAR schpeel here at the house because I was understandably curious.

it all sounded wonderful and so... 'responsible'.

It wasn't as expensive and I thought it was going to be, but I have some serious questions.

Our quote was only $21k all in @ 3.99% for 20 years... barely a Skydweller on the secondary market, But when I priced the panels out myself and it only came to $4,000 (leaving $17k). Surely I am not going to do the job myself and according to the sales person, it's a four hour job and while there some other costs for wiring and an inverter (I will allot another 3$k) that leaves $14k... that's like $3500hr in labor.

So lets say, I am paying $100 a month for the system over 20 years, and my monthly payment for wired electricity is $100-$140 (summertime) a month over the same time period, it is basically a wash in terms of capital outlay, and it appears to me that I am paying $21,000 over 20 years for some over priced photovoltaic hardware to sit on my roof.
This current generation technology is getting older and older and is probably already outdated before its bolted to my roof.

At this point I don't think this is for me... I am not that 'energy conscience'.

Logic, data driven analysis, and being financially savvy is unacceptable in the alternative energy sector.

Please alter your outlook to a more societally accepted “intentions matter more than results” and purchase the solar panel system.
Old 19 November 2022, 05:13 AM   #6
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Logic, data driven analysis, and being financially savvy is unacceptable in the alternative energy sector.

Please alter your outlook to a more societally accepted “intentions matter more than results” and purchase the solar panel system.
This needs more love.

--------------------------------------------------------------

for others here, I guess the fundamental issue for me is that even from the most basic considerations, there is no (or VERY LITTLE) cost benefit... and certain no where enough +EV for me to drill holes in my good roof and to disregard any resale issues that might arise well down the road when I have to explain 20 year old technology that is still bolted to my 'for sale' home.

it's not for me.
Old 19 November 2022, 05:42 AM   #7
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Is wachagot a measure of electricity?
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 05:57 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
We did a solar panel system last fall for about the price of what you’re talking. It generates approx. 9K kWh of power for the year.

Our break even on the system is about 11 years based on current hydro rates in our area.

A couple of points to consider:

1. Rates will only go up making the payoff quicker.
2. PHEV’s make up about 1/4-1/3 of your total usage.
3. It’s good for the environment, if you care about that sort of thing.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 06:17 AM   #9
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
You need batteries, inverter, charge controller, all that. Is the quote for $21k just for panels???
Old 19 November 2022, 06:19 AM   #10
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Also consider that the performance of the panels also degrades over time so you won't have much of a period where your investment is paid off and you're reaping the benefits. The panels you install today will barely charge a flashlight in 20 years.
This isn’t true. While not as effective as new panels I purchased. I still have panels at my cabin from its build date in 1991. The technology is def better now but they still work well enough to keep
Old 19 November 2022, 06:55 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
You need batteries, inverter, charge controller, all that. Is the quote for $21k just for panels???
Our system powers back to the grid so no batteries. $20K ish All in was the cost.

Quote:
This isn’t true. While not as effective as new panels I purchased. I still have panels at my cabin from its build date in 1991. The technology is def better now but they still work well enough to keep
Exactly. My father in law has a system from the mid 90’s still running strong. He’s replaced a few panels, but they used micro inverters.
Old 19 November 2022, 07:25 AM   #12
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
That's a full system sans Battery backup.
Old 19 November 2022, 07:28 AM   #13
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Unfortunately I looked into this and ever since I’ve had an incessant amount of random dudes selling solar coming to my door despite the No soliciting sign.

Yeah, they promise a great deal. Yeah, they say they warranty your roof for any issues with the installation.

What they tell you very quickly is any extra money made off of your solar panels is theirs. They sell electricity back to the grid at less than 1/4 what the power company charges me for power and you as the homeowner gets none of it (except a “great” deal on solar). This is through the lifetime of your panels.

Ask about having a battery bank and the price jumps 200%.

It’s just another scam that the government is doing the advertising for.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 07:30 AM   #14
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

A couple of points to consider:

1. Rates will only go up making the payoff quicker.
2. PHEV’s make up about 1/4-1/3 of your total usage.
3. It’s good for the environment, if you care about that sort of thing.
1-there's no way for me to accurately calculate that at the time of purchase so it doesn't figure into my data.
2-doesnt apply to me.
3-doesnt apply to me.

Nevada's avg kwh is 11.83$ and when we checked over a two year average, I am well below that as I fall into the <70% on average.
the system they quote was for around 8880kwh per annum with my monthly estimated around 740kwh output... my usage over two years was 685kwh
Old 19 November 2022, 07:42 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
1-there's no way for me to accurately calculate that at the time of purchase so it doesn't figure into my data.
2-doesnt apply to me.
3-doesnt apply to me.

Nevada's avg kwh is 11.83$ and when we checked over a two year average, I am well below that as I fall into the <70% on average.
the system they quote was for around 8880kwh per annum with my monthly estimated around 740kwh output... my usage over two years was 685kwh
So you’re against it?
Old 19 November 2022, 07:46 AM   #16
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a full system sans Battery backup.
Seems reasonable to me. Including lithium batteries I just shelled out $35k to overhaul the system at the cabin. Granted, this is off grid and an autonomous system.
Old 19 November 2022, 07:50 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

This was in the LA Times this morning on it...

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ll-too-extreme

I always thought that California should have made every new construction since the mid 1980s mandatory for rooftop solar. The additional cost of a new home would have been negligible and now 40 years later we would have had a very high percentage of solar homes.

What I always worried about was the fact that the sleazy utilities would keep changing the rules for how much they rebated for returning power to the grid which I think it has.

In a place like California with the amount of sunshine this should have been taken care of years ago. Battery backup is still something I'm iffy on.

During the recent summer heat wave the utility companies were telling people to not use unnecessary power for things that could be done in the sunlight hours because part of California's grid is solar and after dark it reverts to thousands of people riding stationary bicycles.(which uses too much water).
Old 19 November 2022, 07:50 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Seems reasonable to me. Including lithium batteries I just shelled out $35k to overhaul the system at the cabin. Granted, this is off grid and an autonomous system.
Sounds like a great spot
Old 19 November 2022, 08:35 AM   #19
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like a great spot
Absolutely keeps me sane having to live in LA man.
Old 20 November 2022, 01:39 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Absolutely keeps me sane having to live in LA man.
How much battery storage did you install? I am looking at a system of essential services for my house and would need two Tesla power walls ($21k additional) The rep said don’t do it. Just buy an ev and use that as a battery when we lose electrical service.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2022, 02:29 AM   #21
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
So you’re against it?
last months bill was 64$ with NV energy... so yeah, there is NO REASON to make the change.
Old 20 November 2022, 02:40 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
last months bill was 64$ with NV energy... so yeah, there is NO REASON to make the change.
They aren't for everyone.

Our annual savings is in the magnitude of $1800/yr so it make sense for us from a financial perspective.

I'm also into helping do our part with the environment, which I know you said isn't a consideration for you.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 20 November 2022, 03:43 AM   #23
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
How much battery storage did you install? I am looking at a system of essential services for my house and would need two Tesla power walls ($21k additional) The rep said don’t do it. Just buy an ev and use that as a battery when we lose electrical service.
Installed 4 - 24 VOLT 200 AH LIT-ION BATTERY with 700 usable AH. I almost doubled my AH of the 12 AGM’s I had before. With a box for the batteries and thermostatic heating pads - came out to about $12k installed.
Old 20 November 2022, 01:33 PM   #24
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
I'm also into helping do our part with the environment...
This needs more love.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2022, 01:58 PM   #25
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white collar boy View Post
this needs more love.
x2

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 20 November 2022, 02:33 PM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
This needs more love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
x2
X 3.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 12:45 AM   #27
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...p---was-wrong/
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 02:31 AM   #28
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Agreed that we need to find a structure to internalize the total cost of these products.

However, we have failed to do that completely with our fossil fuel based transportation and electrical generation industries. For example, the negative health impacts on coal fueled electricity generation are not even remotely factored. Nor is the cost of upgrading transmission lines (see California wildfires caused by antiquated power lines) until we start looking at dramatic increases in rates.

Nuclear waste sequestration is just as difficult but has been implemented for over 40 years, so it can be done although this Forbes report does not mention that.

Any solution will bring a new set of problems. The benefit of solar is that it allows point source generation direct to the user without having to rely on extensive transmission networks. Typical electric grids lose more than 30% of power generated in transmission.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 22 November 2022, 04:38 AM   #29
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post

I cannot agree more. There is so much math, physics, and chemistry that are often ignored.

We all want to get there someday with these new technologies, including all of the oil majors, but this is a multi-generational endeavor that will require significant continued and ongoing investment in fossil fuels while we simultaneously continue to invest in and implement new technologies. It cannot be a zero sum game like the politicians and completely uneducated teenagers disasterously thought it could be. You cannot just flip a switch. It took over 160 years to get to where we are today from the first refining of oil in 1858. I predict it's going to take almost as long to completely divest the global infrastructure from it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 04:44 AM   #30
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I cannot agree more. There is so much math, physics, and chemistry that are often ignored.

We all want to get there someday with these new technologies, including all of the oil majors, but this is a multi-generational endeavor that will require significant continued and ongoing investment in fossil fuels while we simultaneously continue to invest in and implement new technologies. It cannot be a zero sum game like the politicians and completely uneducated teenagers disasterously thought it could be. You cannot just flip a switch. It took over 160 years to get to where we are today from the first refining of oil in 1858. I predict it's going to take almost as long to completely divest the global infrastructure from it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I didn’t hear a peep of protest about the 70 tons of fuel Artemis just used. Or about the fuel used in cargo ships or air travel. Seems cows and cars/trucks are the notorious offenders.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote