The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 December 2022, 10:56 AM   #1
Jcaplinger199
"TRF" Member

5513 service and parts availability

My dad finally decided to give me my grandfather’s 1975 Sub. Ive never owned a Rolex. It had been sitting for quite awhile (2yrs) prior to being given to me last week. The crown is missing, and the band broken but otherwise it appears in good condition and runs. I took it to my nearest AD in Fort Worth TX. They are sent it to the RSC in Dallas, TX. Only took 3 days to hear back from the AD with the estimate from the RSC

Complete overhaul of M5513/0 Rolex sub $1100
Replace crown $46
Replace bezel disc $86
Replace bracelet $1250
Total $2482
Time estimate to complete repairs is 26 weeks…..!
Reason given was that since it’s a no longer produced model parts are limited

Are parts really that scarce for a 5513?
Has anyone sent a 5513 in to a RSC lately (post Covid)? If so how long did it take? Thanks
Jcaplinger199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 11:10 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That is pretty much par for the course these days. It's good to have patience when dealing with vintage watches. Regarding the bezel disc, I assume this means the insert. If the current insert is original, it could be worth well over a thousand dollars, and it would be unfortunate if they replaced it, since they will not return the old parts.

It's unfortunate that you didn't send the watch directly to the RSC because now you are stuck communicating through a third party and you don't always get accurate information. We see a lot of problems due to miscommunication via an AD. Some of those repairs are mandatory and some are optional. There may also be an option to pay extra and have the old parts returned.
Old 9 December 2022, 11:32 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Parts are not available from Rolex anymore- at least that is what they tell us.

OP, I live in the D/FW metroplex and can give you some help with having your Submariner properly serviced.

Send me a PM.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Jcaplinger199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That is pretty much par for the course these days. It's good to have patience when dealing with vintage watches. Regarding the bezel disc, I assume this means the insert. If the current insert is original, it could be worth well over a thousand dollars, and it would be unfortunate if they replaced it, since they will not return the old parts.

It's unfortunate that you didn't send the watch directly to the RSC because now you are stuck communicating through a third party and you don't always get accurate information. We see a lot of problems due to miscommunication via an AD. Some of those repairs are mandatory and some are optional. There may also be an option to pay extra and have the old parts returned.
I went to this particular AD due to a friends recommendation and they have actually been great thus far. I took the watch to them Saturday 12/3 they explained the process. I received a call and email with the estimate from the RSC yesterday 12/6. They answered the questions I had, took payment for the services and emailed me a copy of the 3 page estimate document the RSC sent over. Regarding disc for bezel it says it’s not the original and not a Rolex part. “Disc for bezel not manufactured by Rolex, 60min insert for bezel disc black x 1 - $85.40”

They also said “ your special Rolex Timepiece has been out of production for many years. Limited parts available. Extra time is needed for repair in timekeeping will be best possible.” Taking this to mean they can’t guarantee the + 2/-2 sec standard
Old 9 December 2022, 02:55 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcaplinger199 View Post
I went to this particular AD due to a friends recommendation and they have actually been great thus far. I took the watch to them Saturday 12/3 they explained the process. I received a call and email with the estimate from the RSC yesterday 12/6. They answered the questions I had, took payment for the services and emailed me a copy of the 3 page estimate document the RSC sent over. Regarding disc for bezel it says it’s not the original and not a Rolex part. “Disc for bezel not manufactured by Rolex, 60min insert for bezel disc black x 1 - $85.40”

They also said “ your special Rolex Timepiece has been out of production for many years. Limited parts available. Extra time is needed for repair in timekeeping will be best possible.” Taking this to mean they can’t guarantee the + 2/-2 sec standard
It seems that you've already made your decision and paid some money, so best of luck to you. I'm glad you're happy so far, although nothing has actually happened yet.

Presumably you came here for information and advice from people with experience, so maybe you should have taken a moment to receive that advice. IMO there is zero benefit to work through an AD when sending a watch to RSC, and there are many potential downsides. As JP noted, Rolex frequently refuses to service 15XX movements domestically, claiming that parts are not available. How to reconcile this with what you were told by the AD? Who knows? Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you and you won't learn a lesson the hard way, as many before you have.

In you place, I would get my money and watch back ASAP, and take JP up on his generous offer.
Old 9 December 2022, 06:01 PM   #6
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
There’s plenty of chatter in this forum about not sending vintage to RSC and for good measure. I’m surprised by RSC’s estimate which does not include a replacement acrylic. That alone would be a must to achieve water resistance. Why replace the bracelet? I would send it to Phillip Ridley in Arizona where I have my 5513 or take up on Springer’s lead.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 12:21 AM   #7
Jcaplinger199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
There’s plenty of chatter in this forum about not sending vintage to RSC and for good measure. I’m surprised by RSC’s estimate which does not include a replacement acrylic. That alone would be a must to achieve water resistance. Why replace the bracelet? I would send it to Phillip Ridley in Arizona where I have my 5513 or take up on Springer’s lead.
They are replacing the acrylic as part of the service. It had a bad scratch across it. The bracelet is being replaced as the original bracelet was broken and replaced with a non Rolex part over 20 years ago. I have the AD remove the non Rolex bracelet to send in the watch body only to get a quote for replacement bracelet since I wanted to replace it. Yes I came here for information. Yes I already paid to have the RSC to perform the work. Is it possible for me to reverse course now… I’m not sure. Clearly some people here have issues with AD and RSC. Thus far all information I’ve gotten came directly from what the RSC printed on the estimate sheet. If they would refuse to work on a 15xx movement wouldn’t the RSC just say that up front rather than take the time to give and estimate to service?
Old 10 December 2022, 02:02 AM   #8
Jcaplinger199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It seems that you've already made your decision and paid some money, so best of luck to you. I'm glad you're happy so far, although nothing has actually happened yet.

Presumably you came here for information and advice from people with experience, so maybe you should have taken a moment to receive that advice. IMO there is zero benefit to work through an AD when sending a watch to RSC, and there are many potential downsides. As JP noted, Rolex frequently refuses to service 15XX movements domestically, claiming that parts are not available. How to reconcile this with what you were told by the AD? Who knows? Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you and you won't learn a lesson the hard way, as many before you have.

In you place, I would get my money and watch back ASAP, and take JP up on his generous offer.

I called the RSC myself this morning and gave them the estimate number. They confirmed my identity and the AD that sent it in. They answered my questions and said if they were unable to repair the movement they won’t not have given an estimate and they would have sent the watch back as is. They said I can call at anytime if I have questions or would like an update.
Old 11 December 2022, 01:34 PM   #9
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

can we see some pics of your watch please?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 02:01 PM   #10
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcaplinger199 View Post
They are replacing the acrylic as part of the service. It had a bad scratch across it. The bracelet is being replaced as the original bracelet was broken and replaced with a non Rolex part over 20 years ago. I have the AD remove the non Rolex bracelet to send in the watch body only to get a quote for replacement bracelet since I wanted to replace it. Yes I came here for information. Yes I already paid to have the RSC to perform the work. Is it possible for me to reverse course now… I’m not sure. Clearly some people here have issues with AD and RSC. Thus far all information I’ve gotten came directly from what the RSC printed on the estimate sheet. If they would refuse to work on a 15xx movement wouldn’t the RSC just say that up front rather than take the time to give and estimate to service?
You should still be able to get the watch back without any work/replacements done. Your AD might just charge for the postage. As others have mentioned, it would be best for you to contact the Ridleys for this service.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:33 AM   #11
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Parts are not available from Rolex anymore- at least that is what they tell us.

OP, I live in the D/FW metroplex and can give you some help with having your Submariner properly serviced.

Send me a PM.
OP...I highly recommend taking this action if you have not already.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:27 AM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
That's 20-25% of value of watch, for RSC to service it and frankly devalue it a bit with new parts....and tbh often parts are frankly not needed too, if not used in pool etc ..
Suggest an independent/JP'S offer every day over an RSC, and they often have 'sympathetic/period' parts squirreled away that speeds up the timeframe.

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA - Carl Carlton
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:50 AM   #13
Woody
"TRF" Member

I would stick with your decision and leave it with the RSC - you are only having the watch serviced, a new bracelet fitted and a non-original bezel insert replaced - none of that is going to devalue your watch. Let us know when you get it back…..pictures are always great. All the best.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote