The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2023, 12:09 AM   #1
JoeSiR
"TRF" Member

Just came back from Disney/Universal and…

…I would say that around 80% of people wore Apple Watches or smart watches.

I saw maybe 2 Rolex only (easy to spot especially in lines for rides). As for me, I was wearing (with pride of course) my one and only Rolex Submariner (16610).

To be honest I was a bit surprised to see so much people NOT wearing “normal” watch anymore.

So, I’m just curious to know:

-Do you also see that around you?
-Was this sample biased? I would say that most people were between 25 to 45 years old.
-Do you see a trend going forward (more smart watches or mechanical watches coming back)?

Any thoughts?
JoeSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:12 AM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I always see more Apple watches than anything. Disney usually has a slew of Rolex wearers.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:17 AM   #3
thenewguy2023
"TRF" Member

I started noticing the watches people wear as I got more convinced of owning a Rolex. I, too, was surprised the number of people that wear digital watches (or no watch) these days. Mostly Apple.
thenewguy2023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:37 AM   #4
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Many people cannot afford a Rolex or balk at the price so of course there are more apple watches. Go to Vegas and Rolex watches abound!
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:44 AM   #5
JoeSiR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
Many people cannot afford a Rolex or balk at the price so of course there are more apple watches. Go to Vegas and Rolex watches abound!
The irony is that they could afford paying $300-$500 on an Apple Watch and throw it in the garbage in around 5 years to buy another one.
JoeSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:47 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiR View Post
The irony is that they could afford paying $300-$500 on an Apple Watch and throw it in the garbage in around 5 years to buy another one.

I have traded in my older Apple watches on new ones three times. No one is throwing them away.

Rolex is working on a trade in program as well.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:48 AM   #7
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

They're cool and new, much like quartz watches were in the late 70's and early 80's. This too shall pass.

I also think it's good in a way. Before the Apple watch, quite a few people had stopped wearing watches and were using their phones for timekeeping. At least now they're used to wearing a watch again and in the future may want something with more gravitas.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:51 AM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
More Apple Watches than anything.

I'm going to Disney this summer but don't think I'll bring my Submariner along.

Quote:
How is watches different than everything else? Does everyone around you wear $4,000 jackets, $2,000 shoes, $400 jeans, $300 shirts, and drive 911s? $500 for a watch is a lot of money for most people.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:00 AM   #9
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Being at Disney suggests one has kids and kids are expensive (note Disney prices). It’s reasonable to assume that parents at Disney are at the point in their lives where kids and family come first and kids and family often require greater connectivity. In this context cheapo Chinese computer watches (I’m including Apple in this group) make sense.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:05 AM   #10
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
The Apple Watch is definitely king. It seems like most of the watches I see are Apple or another "smart" brand. I wear my Apple Watch everyday during exercise to track time, heart rate and other key metrics.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:06 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I always wear a gold sub at disney.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:10 AM   #12
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I live in SoCal.
% trend will continue to be down.
But there will be more collectors over time.
Apple watch is the most complicated watch at the best possible price.

99.9% of us wear mechanical watches as an ode to a bygone era or to feel good about ourselves.

Let it go old timer.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Keep in mind you can use the Apple wrist computer as a park pass, pay for food, in the new Tron ride, etc.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #14
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I see around 80 people a week in my work 90 % have Apple watches on. I wear one every day I work or for gym and running. Analogs come out on weekends. Funny I just started paying more attention to that. Rolex…not so many and Im in a pretty high COL area. Rolexes are , in my mind ( and for me) a very extravagant purchase
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:17 AM   #15
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I always wear a gold sub at disney.
I wear my JC to the “house of Mouse” and usually see some other nice watches there. Last time I complimented a guy on his NTTD Omega Seamaster, and on a previous visit I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing a 12 series sub date. He was there with his whole family doing a private tour (and was the one footing the bill based on his comments lol) so I got the impression that his sub was more of a beater watch for him, like how many of us have a G shock or similar for when we don’t want to wear a “nice” watch.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:29 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The Apple Watch or similar devices are the ones I most commonly see when out and about.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:31 AM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We stay on Disney property either Grand Flo or Polly for 2 weeks every year. It’s a watch spotting plethora of Rolex, Panerai, AP, etc….. I have had several nice conversations in passing with fellow WIS. Last year I had a very nice Asian tourist seriously offer to buy my LVc I was wearing. Like ready to wire me money on the spot. My ultimate spotting was few years back with a 15yr old Asian girl on the monorail wearing an SS Daytona wearing a Prada backpack. Parents were wearing DJ. WDW was full of nice watches depending where and what time you look.

Now days with the Disney app, you will see a lot of Apple Watches. That is what my wife wears.

LVc

BLNR

CHNR

That is a Hulk in these two pics:

Old 5 March 2023, 01:45 AM   #18
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
I just came back from a Vegas conference and this was indeed true about Rolex. I also saw JLC, AP and Patek everywhere.

Women wore the Apple watches more than anyone else, though I did see some lady Rolex on wrists
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 02:32 AM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I see pretty much the same.

But, ask yourself. Would the majority of people you saw wearing Apple Watches bought the watch they're wearing in direct competition to a fine mechanical watch? In other words, were they choosing between an electronic device and a mechanical watch when they made their purchase.

In my experience, I would have to say no.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 04:16 AM   #20
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
The modern smart watch is surely the greatest tool watch ever made.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 04:22 AM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I will vouch for OP observations. I’ve seen some nice watches there, but most people don’t notice. It’s definitely a safe place to wear a Rolex or other nice watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 04:30 AM   #22
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
…….and not to mention the cost of entering the park and expenses throughout the day. Almost as much as an OP nowadays.
Old 5 March 2023, 04:40 AM   #23
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
…….and not to mention the cost of entering the park and expenses throughout the day. Almost as much as an OP nowadays.
Very true! Disneyland and similar parks are VERY expensive nowadays! I haven't visited one for many many years. I fairly recently went to Universal Studios again a few years ago and realized what these places cost nowadays. Need to sell your Rolex to pay for the family trip to one of these! Lol.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 04:46 AM   #24
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I see pretty much the same.

But, ask yourself. Would the majority of people you saw wearing Apple Watches bought the watch they're wearing in direct competition to a fine mechanical watch? In other words, were they choosing between an electronic device and a mechanical watch when they made their purchase.

In my experience, I would have to say no.
Exactly true imo! A lotta people wearing Apple and smart watches I don't think are watch people at all. They buy/wear it because of the functionality and usefulness and they could care less about horology. If it weren't for these smart watches, I'm thinking they wouldn't wear one at all.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #25
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
…I would say that around 80% of people wore Apple Watches or smart watches.

I saw maybe 2 Rolex only (easy to spot especially in lines for rides). As for me, I was wearing (with pride of course) my one and only Rolex Submariner (16610).

To be honest I was a bit surprised to see so much people NOT wearing “normal” watch anymore.

So, I’m just curious to know:

-Do you also see that around you?
-Was this sample biased? I would say that most people were between 25 to 45 years old.
-Do you see a trend going forward (more smart watches or mechanical watches coming back)?

Any thoughts?
I rarely see Rolex in the wild in Canada/USA... Maybe I need to go out more.

But when I am in Asia, is fairly common to see in train and malls... I would say Asia do try harder to show their wealth than America.
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:05 AM   #26
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

While flying 30% of my first officers (copilots) wear a watch, 60% smart watches, and 10% no watches.
Of the ones wearing smart watches I always point out that it isn't a real watch! Five of my copilots were wearing Rolex 16710s! All were inherited.
I will never own or desire to own a smart-watch.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:29 AM   #27
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I'll admit I don't do much watch spotting but when I go to Disney or other theme parks I usually get spotted by a worker or passerby complimenting me on the watch.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #28
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I've had three Apple Watches and returned or gifted all of them within six months. There is this initial high of tracking steps, heart rate, sleep but after six months it will tell you the exact same thing unless your health status changes.

Eventually the metrics will play games with your head, if you feel like you had a good nights sleep but the watch says otherwise you will be questioning your own sleep feelings.

Funny thing, before I had the watch I never really thought about how well I slept or didn't sleep.

I think it's a nice novelty but for me it wore off. The biggest determinant is in your focus. I don't like my wrist buzzing with text messages when I'm talking to clients or working on a contract. It's annoying and gives you a TikTok brain.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:53 AM   #29
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
A couple of weeks back we were there for 8 days. I was sporting an LV sub but didn't see another Rolex the entire time.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:58 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Being at Disney suggests one has kids and kids are expensive (note Disney prices)...
You don't have to tell me. We've got two of them

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote