The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2023, 02:48 AM   #1
SamArj
"TRF" Member

New WG/RG Daytona- new and deleted dial options?

Hi
I've not kept much on an eye on the Daytona over the years. I am trying to figure out what the dial additions and deletions are on WG and RG on OYSTERFLEX.

I know that the chocolate face on RG has been deleted and that all meterorites are gone.

I see that the WG comes with bright black and steel subdials. Is this new?

Also WG comes with steel and bright black subdials
Is this the same as the previous model nicknamed the ghost?

RG comes with bright black and sundust subdials. Is this exactly the same as the pre WW dial?

Thanks
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 03:54 AM   #2
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
From what I can tell and I'm quite sure all the dials in:

Yellow Gold are basically the same before/after W&W

White Gold are all new except the Steel and bright black. Black and steel is new

Rose Gold are all new except the Sundust

Worth mentioning they might all be considered new based upon the new dial layout. I'm on Rolex.com right now and this is what I see. I like the older dials better. I'm not a fan of the sub dial outer rings not having some contrast
Old 21 April 2023, 04:26 AM   #3
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
From what I can tell and I'm quite sure all the dials in:

Yellow Gold are basically the same before/after W&W

White Gold are all new except the Steel and bright black. Black and steel is new

Rose Gold are all new except the Sundust

Worth mentioning they might all be considered new based upon the new dial layout. I'm on Rolex.com right now and this is what I see. I like the older dials better. I'm not a fan of the sub dial outer rings not having some contrast

I understand your point that they could all be considered new due to the tweaks but that aside, are you saying that in RG the bright black with sunburst dials is a new combination ?

But the same colour combination was available before wasn't it?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/rol...id24435536.htm
Old 21 April 2023, 06:34 AM   #4
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
I understand your point that they could all be considered new due to the tweaks but that aside, are you saying that in RG the bright black with sunburst dials is a new combination ?

No it is new. I believe the rose gold back dial had rose gold subdials and the black was not bright black. Did you notice the dial layout is also different? The subdials have a thinner outer ring and the bright black with the sundust only has the sundust on the inner subdial (not the outer ring). Same with the white gold bright black with steel subdials. The hour markers are also smaller and the ceramic bezel has a metal ring around it. Not to mention a new movement inside. Cases were changed on the SS models.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 06:46 AM   #5
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. Yes the colors "listed" might be the same but the look is Not.

In the 116515 in your link the subdials are trimmed in black as you see. Now on the newer models the subdials are a solid one color including where the 12 6 and 9 are. Not trimmed in black.

Furthermore on the 515 in your link I believe that dial was called Black/Champagne. Now Black/Sundust. Making it new by Rolex's definition. I see the same old dial but modified and one I dont like.

Basically all Rolex does is flip the colors listed in the description. Bright Black/Sundust vs Sundust/Bright Black.

I've been after a 11 series 505 to go with my Chocolate 116515 for a while now so I'm pretty keen on all the dials before and after W&W. At least I think I am

Ideally I'd like to have the same Chocolate dial in the 116505 to match my 116515 or maybe even the dial in your link but full PM. Not 2 on OysterFlex.
Old 21 April 2023, 09:39 PM   #6
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. Yes the colors "listed" might be the same but the look is Not.

In the 116515 in your link the subdials are trimmed in black as you see. Now on the newer models the subdials are a solid one color including where the 12 6 and 9 are. Not trimmed in black.

Furthermore on the 515 in your link I believe that dial was called Black/Champagne. Now Black/Sundust. Making it new by Rolex's definition. I see the same old dial but modified and one I dont like.

Basically all Rolex does is flip the colors listed in the description. Bright Black/Sundust vs Sundust/Bright Black.

I've been after a 11 series 505 to go with my Chocolate 116515 for a while now so I'm pretty keen on all the dials before and after W&W. At least I think I am

Ideally I'd like to have the same Chocolate dial in the 116505 to match my 116515 or maybe even the dial in your link but full PM. Not 2 on OysterFlex.

Thanks
Old 22 April 2023, 10:55 AM   #7
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

The YG gold dual with black subs is strikingly different with the new one lacking black hour markers, shape of hour markers, and YG ring around cerachrome bezel.

The PN dial missing the red chrono seconds hand, outer track red jour marks and same as above on hour marker shape and bezel ring disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2023, 01:47 PM   #8
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Rolex.com configurator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote