The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2023, 11:17 PM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Attempted Rolex Street Theft Averted!!!

So, I have never worried about being robbed or pickpocketed while traveling as I always am situationally aware and take precautions to make sure that my goods are secure and hard to access. I have never had one incident in nearly 30 years of domestic and international travel.

The past week, I was in Annecy, France after finishing a hike of the Tour du Mont Blanc (more on this in another post). My wife and I arrived at the central train station and were walking with our large backpack duffels on our backs and our hiking daypacks on the front.

Ironically, i posted a thread before I left about how I was considering leaving my Sub at home since I was planning on using the Apple Watch Ultra for hiking anyways. More in jest than anything else as I was not concerned about theft or safety, but whether I could actually travel without my Sub! After much deliberation, I could not leave the Sub at home and was wearing it once the hiking portion of our trip was complete.

Upon arrival in Annecy, there were no cabs available (3:00 in the afternoon) which was a huge disappointment as I did not want to have to walk around with a big, heavy duffel. We waited for 15 minutes or so with no luck. I usually plan on Ubers or taxis anytime I am carrying a bunch of gear for convenience as much as safety reasons.

We were navigating with Google maps trying to find the bus that was also supposed to take us right by our hotel. The stop was supposed to be less than 300 feet from the station. As sometimes happens, Google had a hard time with signals bouncing off buildings and we had the directions sending us around in circles for about 10 minutes.

We approached an underground walkway that the walking directions told us to take to go under a street and back to the main train station. The sign said something like "Pedestrian Walkway" but my French is non-existent so it could have also said "Watch Thief Ahead". This tunnel was also the access to the stations underground parking area and actually had several people around as well as a parking attendant office so I really did not think much about it.

Anyhows, we were in the tunnel and there is a guy walking to one side of us also looking at his phone with a look of confusion. He asks us "What is going on with the maps here? I am lost." He is well dressed and I notice quickly that he is wearing some form of a Rolex (stolen or fake??) as I can see the bracelet crown. A younger guy speaking perfect English. About my size and build. No red flags yet.

We all continue walking almost out of the tunnel, the guy says "I get the directions now." He makes a move to bump fists and, thinking we were both in the same boat, I do the same. Then it gets weird....

He holds his hand out in a high five, which I do and then moves to grab my hand. I immediately pull back and he asks to shake my hand but reaches out with both his hands for both of mine.

Needless to say, I push him away and step back. My wife is already behind me so I not so politely tell him to "F--- Off". He immediately turns around and walks the opposite way. Definitely not towards to bus stops as he said he was trying to find.

I was not really sure if he was after my watch or my front backpack, but something was up as I have never had anyone try to grab both my hands in any situation ever before. It seemed pretty clear to me that he was about to pull some incapacitating move once he had both my hands.

Or, am I being paranoid.

So, what put me in this situation:

1.Being clearly disoriented. Anyone could clearly see we were paying attention to our phones as we walked. Just as bad as walking with your nose in a guidebook which was a big no-no back in the pre cell phone days. Most people would probably drop their situational awareness in such times. Thieves look for this.

2. Being overloaded with our gear. Not exactly nimble and able to respond quickly.

3. Walking into a somewhat non-visible area. Thought it was okay at that time of day but fortunately, I was even more diligent.

Now that I have had a personal sketchy experience, I can personally add to the age old "Is it safe to take my Rolex to___________?" discussion.

Yes, just be aware and prepared to act if need be. It can happen to you.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:25 PM   #2
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Glad nothing worse happened, always stay vigilant.

It's tough to always be aware and on your guard, especially when tired and loaded down with gear.

I think the lesson here is probably to not wear the Rolex when you look like an obvious tourist; I'd try to limit wearing it to only when you think you can blend in.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:26 PM   #3
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Glad to hear you all made it out unscathed and no worse for the wear. Hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:31 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Good to read that you’re ok which is the most important thing. You need to be on alert it would seem no matter where you are in the world.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:32 PM   #5
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
So, I have never worried about being robbed or pickpocketed while traveling as I always am situationally aware and take precautions to make sure that my goods are secure and hard to access. I have never had one incident in nearly 30 years of domestic and international travel.

The past week, I was in Annecy, France after finishing a hike of the Tour du Mont Blanc (more on this in another post). My wife and I arrived at the central train station and were walking with our large backpack duffels on our backs and our hiking daypacks on the front.

Ironically, i posted a thread before I left about how I was considering leaving my Sub at home since I was planning on using the Apple Watch Ultra for hiking anyways. More in jest than anything else as I was not concerned about theft or safety, but whether I could actually travel without my Sub! After much deliberation, I could not leave the Sub at home and was wearing it once the hiking portion of our trip was complete.

Upon arrival in Annecy, there were no cabs available (3:00 in the afternoon) which was a huge disappointment as I did not want to have to walk around with a big, heavy duffel. We waited for 15 minutes or so with no luck. I usually plan on Ubers or taxis anytime I am carrying a bunch of gear for convenience as much as safety reasons.

We were navigating with Google maps trying to find the bus that was also supposed to take us right by our hotel. The stop was supposed to be less than 300 feet from the station. As sometimes happens, Google had a hard time with signals bouncing off buildings and we had the directions sending us around in circles for about 10 minutes.

We approached an underground walkway that the walking directions told us to take to go under a street and back to the main train station. The sign said something like "Pedestrian Walkway" but my French is non-existent so it could have also said "Watch Thief Ahead". This tunnel was also the access to the stations underground parking area and actually had several people around as well as a parking attendant office so I really did not think much about it.

Anyhows, we were in the tunnel and there is a guy walking to one side of us also looking at his phone with a look of confusion. He asks us "What is going on with the maps here? I am lost." He is well dressed and I notice quickly that he is wearing some form of a Rolex (stolen or fake??) as I can see the bracelet crown. A younger guy speaking perfect English. About my size and build. No red flags yet.

We all continue walking almost out of the tunnel, the guy says "I get the directions now." He makes a move to bump fists and, thinking we were both in the same boat, I do the same. Then it gets weird....

He holds his hand out in a high five, which I do and then moves to grab my hand. I immediately pull back and he asks to shake my hand but reaches out with both his hands for both of mine.

Needless to say, I push him away and step back. My wife is already behind me so I not so politely tell him to "F--- Off". He immediately turns around and walks the opposite way. Definitely not towards to bus stops as he said he was trying to find.

I was not really sure if he was after my watch or my front backpack, but something was up as I have never had anyone try to grab both my hands in any situation ever before. It seemed pretty clear to me that he was about to pull some incapacitating move once he had both my hands.

Or, am I being paranoid.

So, what put me in this situation:

1.Being clearly disoriented. Anyone could clearly see we were paying attention to our phones as we walked. Just as bad as walking with your nose in a guidebook which was a big no-no back in the pre cell phone days. Most people would probably drop their situational awareness in such times. Thieves look for this.

2. Being overloaded with our gear. Not exactly nimble and able to respond quickly.

3. Walking into a somewhat non-visible area. Thought it was okay at that time of day but fortunately, I was even more diligent.

Now that I have had a personal sketchy experience, I can personally add to the age old "Is it safe to take my Rolex to___________?" discussion.

Yes, just be aware and prepared to act if need be. It can happen to you.

In my experiences with shady characters in Turkey and Bogota, "younger guy speaking perfect English" to me, a stranger on the street, was the red flag.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:40 PM   #6
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Glad nothing happened to you and thanks for sharing your experience, as it helps to gain situational awareness.

Sad thing is that even after reading this so many people will still tell you that it's an absolute no-brainer to bring your Rolex to certain areas. It's not. I only wear my watches in countries / regions / areas that I'm familiar with, even more so when I'm not travelling alone as I don't want to put anyone else into jeopardy.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:42 PM   #7
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Stolen Rolex or....have you seen the movie Hostel?

Either way, glad you're still able to post. What an awkward/ scary/ shitty situation.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 12:07 AM   #8
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Stolen Rolex or....have you seen the movie Hostel?

Either way, glad you're still able to post. What an awkward/ scary/ shitty situation.
Great movie, not for the faint of heart but excellent movie, nonetheless. The first two were good but later ones not so much. I don’t doubt such a club exists in today’s world.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 12:12 AM   #9
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Was the Sub visible or under a long sleeve?
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 12:35 AM   #10
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
After a cancerous mole more than 10 years ago I’ve always worn long sleeves - I’m glad I do these days!
Rolexken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 12:54 AM   #11
Jorge Borbolla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd love to know this too.

Glad nothing of severity happened to you OP
Jorge Borbolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 12:58 AM   #12
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I'm glad it all worked out for you. You have to be ever vigilant unfortunately.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #13
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Glad you and your wife escaped what could have been real trouble.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #14
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
After a cancerous mole more than 10 years ago I’ve always worn long sleeves - I’m glad I do these days!
Yes, more than one good reason to do so, with modern fabrics they're pretty comfortable too.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:43 AM   #15
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Thanks for sharing, however, your subject line was misleading. Maybe a thief or maybe not. Lots of strange characters in cities all over the world seem to congregate at public transit stations. Glad everybody was ok.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:51 AM   #16
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Should of taken the Apple Watch Ultra for the hike.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:51 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Glad everyone was ok Jason.

Hard for any of us to read the situation, but you did what you thought best in the moment and IMHO it was prudent.

You’re not going to make many new friends using this approach
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:52 AM   #18
capecodmike
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, YM Rho
Your post only confirms my plans for our upcoming trip to Sicily in September. If you want the Luminox it's yours.
capecodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:17 AM   #19
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Good to hear that you and the missus came away from this encounter unharmed Jason.

You were fortunate, he might have been armed. 'Knife Crime' is on the increase, in Europe.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:22 AM   #20
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Glad everything worked out okay Jason, you just never know.

Having had a watch surreptitiously removed from my wrist under vaguely similar circumstances - also in Europe - these days I try to keep strangers at a distance, especially when wearing a good watch.

After that situation I no longer wear costly pieces when traveling, each to their own but for me it's just one less thing to worry about.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:13 AM   #21
TheVision
"TRF" Member

It's just a sad sad situation. 5 years ago, u could wear a sub to a club anywhere in the world and no one cares but now, the brand has been tarnished with the "quick buck" proposition.

I've worn my Omega smp and a Breitling chrono (all polished) all over the world and not a single issue but with any Rolex, you have to think twice OR just leave it back at home
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:44 AM   #22
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Glad you and your wife are safe and sound! Thanks for posting your cautionary tale; sadly the value of our watches can make us a target for these types of encounters/situations. Really glad you’re both ok!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:48 AM   #23
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
It's just a sad sad situation. 5 years ago, u could wear a sub to a club anywhere in the world and no one cares but now, the brand has been tarnished with the "quick buck" proposition.

I've worn my Omega smp and a Breitling chrono (all polished) all over the world and not a single issue but with any Rolex, you have to think twice OR just leave it back at home
Almost 20 years ago Dan Rather said "this race is hotter than a Times Square Rolex." Theft of Rolex watches has been a thing for a long long time.

Situational awareness and common sense have solved for most foreseeable issues, and bad luck just happens sometimes.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:00 AM   #24
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Attempted Rolex Street Theft Averted!!!

What if he was just trying to do one of these? Can you imagine the horror when you stepped back and told him to f-off lol. He probably went home and cried to his partner about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:11 AM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

People can behave weirdly for all sorts of reasons. Best to keep your cynicism and antennae up and give them a wide berth if you can. Possibly a lesson learned, possibly just an odd anomaly. Best result either way.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:15 AM   #26
summit
Banned

So nothing really happened and your Rolex wasn’t even visible to the possible “perp”.

Edit: Ok I see it was not you who replied about the long sleeves and mole.

Still, lots of drama and attention seeking is my impression of your short story.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:16 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Your post underscores the often-stated advice of being aware of your surroundings while traveling means nothing. Bad stuff can happen anywhere at any time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:20 AM   #28
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It was clearly visible. Too dang hot for long sleeves and we were not planning on having to walk around looking for a bus as I fully intended to grab a taxi from the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Thanks for sharing, however, your subject line was misleading. Maybe a thief or maybe not. Lots of strange characters in cities all over the world seem to congregate at public transit stations. Glad everybody was ok.
I have travelled enough to know what to expect in dodgy areas and have never had anyone aggressively reach out and try to grab me. Dealt with the people pushing newspapers in your face and trying to get you to look at their babies outside of Rome and Milano Centrale by keeping my distance.

Even in Denver, I would have considered this threatening behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
In my experiences with shady characters in Turkey and Bogota, "younger guy speaking perfect English" to me, a stranger on the street, was the red flag.
Adding this one to my list of red flags. Thanks.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 28 July 2023, 04:23 AM   #29
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Close call. That hand or wrist grab seems to be a common ploy for sure.

Sorry for your scare, but I enjoyed your write-up.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:23 AM   #30
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
What if he was just trying to do one of these? Can you imagine the horror when you stepped back and told him to f-off lol. He probably went home and cried to his partner about it

This is what I wondered for a couple seconds afterwards but his actions in trying to grab my arms would have been inappropriately aggressive in any culture given the context. It wasn't a greeting.

Plus, as soon as I pushed him away he turned 180 degrees and walked in the opposite direction away from the bus line he said he was also looking for.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD