The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 November 2023, 11:55 AM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

The Smooth Bezel Datejust Is Underappeciated

Greetings -

A few weeks ago I bought a 41mm white dial Oyster bracelet Datejust new from a local AD. I got it to compliment my 36mm TT Datejust bought new in 1981 and my Tudor BB58. I wanted the white dial with plain stick markers, easy reading for my aging eyes.

I got the smooth bezel because I could get it quickly, and it’s a different look compared to the Jubilee in my older DJ. I thought I was settling a bit, being used to the Jubilee fluted bezel of my watch.

Instead I’m constantly amazed with the overall look - the polished surfaces capture and reflect light with a dazzling intensity in bright light, and a subtle warmth in subdued light. I owned several Grand Seiko watches, famous for their Zaratsu polishing, and the Rolex is even more impressive. It also has a micro-adjuster in the bracelet allowing a very flexible fit with no tools or hassle - something neither the Grand Seiko or the BB58 offer.

The alternating polished/brushed Oyster links are also light magnets - allowing for nice reflections and highlights in any light.

Overall I’m quite surprised, pleasantly so. The new 41 case with solid links is more “beefy” than the 1981 36mm model, but it balances well on my 7” plus wrist. I am taking a bit of time to get used to the weight and link adjustment, but I expected that compared to my other watches. Still it wears smaller than the 41mm case dimension suggests while being surprisingly thin - easily fitting under a shirt cuff or perfectly complimenting casual short sleeve wear in warmer weather. The steel construction is robust, but also beautifully sculptured and shaped.

Frankly I am surprised by how much I enjoy the watch. So, if you’re about to consider a DJ give some serious consideration to the smooth bezel/Oyster bracelet model, especially with the white stick markers. Maybe you’ll be as surprised as I am, and find true love in an understated highly enjoyable under the radar timepiece. By the way, I’ve read about some people having timing issues with the 32xx movement, but so far this is the most accurate mechanical watch I ever owned. Highly recommended!
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 01:20 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The Smooth Bezel Datejust Is Underappeciated

Glad you like your Datejust

My educated guess as to why it is under appreciated is because aesthetically, it is a very generic look in that configuration, especially for the price point. Not saying that’s a bad thing especially if that’s what you like.

In fact people always ask for under the radar Rolex and I think in that configuration paired with a silver, black, or white dial would be just that.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 01:24 PM   #3
jjjones
"TRF" Member

Call me old school but, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet is the only configuration for a Datejust. Anything other than that is a waste of money.
jjjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 01:42 PM   #4
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Glad you like your Datejust

My educated guess as to why it is under appreciated is because aesthetically, it is a very generic look in that configuration, especially for the price point. Not saying that’s a bad thing especially if that’s what you like.

In fact people always ask for under the radar Rolex and I think in that configuration paired with a silver, black, or white dial would be just that.
price point with generic looking is my take too.
with that price I can get two omega seamaster aqua terra 38 or 41mm.
better value than DJ41 smooth bezel.
Old 4 November 2023, 03:25 PM   #5
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Greetings -

A few weeks ago I bought a 41mm white dial Oyster bracelet Datejust new from a local AD. I got it to compliment my 36mm TT Datejust bought new in 1981 and my Tudor BB58. I wanted the white dial with plain stick markers, easy reading for my aging eyes.

I got the smooth bezel because I could get it quickly, and it’s a different look compared to the Jubilee in my older DJ. I thought I was settling a bit, being used to the Jubilee fluted bezel of my watch.

Instead I’m constantly amazed with the overall look - the polished surfaces capture and reflect light with a dazzling intensity in bright light, and a subtle warmth in subdued light. I owned several Grand Seiko watches, famous for their Zaratsu polishing, and the Rolex is even more impressive. It also has a micro-adjuster in the bracelet allowing a very flexible fit with no tools or hassle - something neither the Grand Seiko or the BB58 offer.

The alternating polished/brushed Oyster links are also light magnets - allowing for nice reflections and highlights in any light.

Overall I’m quite surprised, pleasantly so. The new 41 case with solid links is more “beefy” than the 1981 36mm model, but it balances well on my 7” plus wrist. I am taking a bit of time to get used to the weight and link adjustment, but I expected that compared to my other watches. Still it wears smaller than the 41mm case dimension suggests while being surprisingly thin - easily fitting under a shirt cuff or perfectly complimenting casual short sleeve wear in warmer weather. The steel construction is robust, but also beautifully sculptured and shaped.

Frankly I am surprised by how much I enjoy the watch. So, if you’re about to consider a DJ give some serious consideration to the smooth bezel/Oyster bracelet model, especially with the white stick markers. Maybe you’ll be as surprised as I am, and find true love in an understated highly enjoyable under the radar timepiece. By the way, I’ve read about some people having timing issues with the 32xx movement, but so far this is the most accurate mechanical watch I ever owned. Highly recommended!
My particular DJ is a 5 digit Turn-O-Graph, so my bezel is kind of in the middle, but I'm still a big fan of smooth bezel/brushed Oyster.

I don't have anything against fluted/jubilee other than that they reflect sooooo much light. And you can't really go back and DIY brush the bezel because it's WG instead of SS. If only they weren't so reflective...
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 05:01 PM   #6
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Greetings -

LOVE the smooth bezel ! Good choice... especially on the DJ ! Enjoy !
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 05:12 PM   #7
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
I'm a fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet guy, I'm afraid, as I think that's too classic a combination to be beaten. I'd probably go for an OP or Explorer before the DJ with smooth bezel (and the smooth bezel requires an oyster bracelet, so lose/lose).
Old 4 November 2023, 05:32 PM   #8
Phwtch1
"TRF" Member

I don't own one but have seen it a couple of times and yes the smooth bezel is a plus. Gives it this dazzle and reflection too.
Good choice OP.

Sent from my A5_Pro using Tapatalk
Phwtch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 06:31 PM   #9
Space1970
"TRF" Member

I don’t really like jubilee bracelets so always choose an oyster when it’s an option
I find it strange when people dismiss it as ‘wrong’ or ‘a waster of money’ on a DJ

I get personal preference and have always preferred a fluted bezel but maybe they know better than you/me/Rolex

Hope you keep enjoying your new watch!
Space1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 06:49 PM   #10
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjones View Post
Call me old school but, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet is the only configuration for a Datejust. Anything other than that is a waste of money.
We sure wasted a lot of money……Jonsey
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D6CC4DA0-D340-4AD0-A191-8DB0ACA1E9B2.jpeg (112.6 KB, 859 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 09:17 PM   #11
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Congratulations on your DJ!
I personally like the smooth bezel only if it has the jubilee bracelet, as it differentiates it from some other very similar models in the Rolex lineup.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 09:58 PM   #12
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
The smooth bezel on oyster Datejust is my steel sports watch. Can’t say enough good things about it, it’s the workhorse of my collection. My only Rolex.
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 10:01 PM   #13
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Agree on the smooth/oyster, I have that in a DJ II which makes a great sports watch. I know the other options are more classic but a bit too much 'look at me' for my tastes.
Old 4 November 2023, 10:21 PM   #14
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Agree on the smooth/oyster, I have that in a DJ II which makes a great sports watch. I know the other options are more classis but a bit too much 'look at me' for my tastes.
I'm kind of in this camp as well. A fluted bezel watch on a jubilee just screams "look at me" a bit too much - for me personally. But, YMMV of course
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:26 PM   #15
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
I'm kind of in this camp as well. A fluted bezel watch on a jubilee just screams "look at me" a bit too much - for me personally. But, YMMV of course
...especially in two-tone, the '80s cliche Rolex.
Old 4 November 2023, 11:28 PM   #16
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Love smooth bezel with jubilee.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:35 PM   #17
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
It's just a matter of taste.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:41 PM   #18
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
gone but not forgotten - I thoroughly enjoyed my vintage ('74) smooth bezel DJ and would have another if things lined up

Enjoy yours in the best health

rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:57 PM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
On the 36mm, I prefer the fluted bezel. The smooth bezel is too rounded and high. Just looks odd to me. The smooth bezel sits flatter on the 41mm and looks better.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:12 AM   #20
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Smooth bezel on the 41 makes it look more like a (more comfortable) sports model, which I prefer.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:47 AM   #21
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Congrats, on your DJ. I think the DJ you select depends on personal preference and how it works within your collection. I have a few SS models so my collection works best with Fluted, Jubilee DJs as my dress watches.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:44 AM   #22
BCoolidge
"TRF" Member

White DJ on smooth bezel and is great watch. It's the modern day version of the Rolex Sir Edmund Hillary wore to the peak of Mount Everest.

BCoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:47 AM   #23
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
the best is two tone domed bezel loooool
nosignalbmwdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 03:12 AM   #24
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
This is the way!
Old 5 November 2023, 03:25 AM   #25
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
(and the smooth bezel requires an oyster bracelet, so lose/lose).
Not sure if you're just stating a personal preference or think this is the required configuration from Rolex...but if it's the latter, that's not correct - all four combinations can be had for both the 36mm and 41mm DJ (fluted/Jubilee, smooth/Jubilee, fluted/Oyster, smooth/oyster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Congratulations on your DJ!
I personally like the smooth bezel only if it has the jubilee bracelet, as it differentiates it from some other very similar models in the Rolex lineup.
Agree, as I always say the Jubilee dresses it up a bit while the domed/smooth bezel dresses it down a bit so it's super versatile yet never overdone or underdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
The only configuration for me, personally. Own a 36mm with domed/Jubilee/silver dial and it's just a fantastic daily.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 06:40 AM   #26
lencap
"TRF" Member

I appreciate each person's perspective - some very fine comments/suggestions/opinions.

I wasn't suggesting that the configuration I chose is "the one", merely trying to express my surprise about how versatile, well built, and well designed the model I bought is in real life use. I'm also quite impressed with the finish on the watch/band and the quiet presence on the wrist.

For my needs (having a group of watches that work well together) the white dial/Oyster "under the radar" look of the 41mm DJ works for me. Since I already have a 36mm vintage TT DJ Jubilee the new watch is a bit of a change up, which is what I wanted. I mentioned I initially was concerned about the size, but in the last week I hardly notice it, and the relatively thin case makes it wear very easily.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I'll keep the BB58 (both bracelet and Tudor fabric strap). It's a great shape, good size, but the lack of adjustments of the watch band is even more noticeable now since the new DJ has the built in Easy-link, and the 1981 DJ has 7 holes for adjustment on the band. The BB58 has only 3 closely spaced holes, and the fabric strap spacing isn't ideal either. It is very challenging as the bracelet is either too tight or too loose in many situations, and the fabric strap grabs the watch differently, placing some tension in different places when wearing it. The larger 41DJ case actually fits and balances better despite the larger dimensions/weight.

If I didn't have the other watches I may have chosen a different configuration. I also agree that there are several Omega models that could have worked for me, and the Co-Axial movement is a very fine option. I've owned many Omegas over the years, and as much as I appreciate their mechanical qualities, I find the bracelets less comfortable and flexible in use compared to the Rolex models, and the case design less balanced on the wrist. The Grand Seiko watches I had were even worse - very thick cases, bracelets/straps that left a lot to be desired in terms of comfort and adjustability. The watch cases were also very thick and didn't balance on the wrist well at all. That was very disappointing since the design/build/finish and features were all wonderful. I chose the DJ for comfort and ease of adjustments, and it delivers exactly what I hoped it would.

That's why I was so surprised that the BB58 bracelet was released with such little adjustment potential, especially since Rolex has the best bracelets I've ever used.

The accuracy of the 32xx watch is also amazing. I know some have had problems, and they may yet develop, but so far the watch is flawless. I set it a week ago versus a reference time source (atomic watch site) and the DJ has been within 2 seconds of that time since it was set. The BB58 keeps good time, but is more than 35 seconds from the reference setting. My older DJ TT lags behind, but still not terrible (off less than a minute). Still, I'm going to have it serviced, primarily to ensure it's still watertight and to address the obviously less smooth winding experience compared to my other watches.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 06:47 AM   #27
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjones View Post
I suppose you can make the same statement for the Day Date in fluted with the President, yet I am almost certain that most who make such statements drool over a smooth bezel platinum Day Date.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 09:23 AM   #28
jjjones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I suppose you can make the same statement for the Day Date in fluted with the President, yet I am almost certain that most who make such statements drool over a smooth bezel platinum Day Date.
I would think people drooled over the smooth bezel platinum day date purely because it was the only configuration available at that time and fluted bezel wasnt an option.
jjjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:35 AM   #29
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
The smooth bezel pairs well with oyster
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:41 AM   #30
JTL31

Congratulations on your new Datejust! Wear it in good health for many years to come.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote