The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 November 2023, 08:58 PM   #1
Tortoise99
"TRF" Member

Rolex “exhibition only” farce over?

I know many on this forum can’t stand Paul Thorpe but he posted an interesting video on YouTube a couple of days ago….

He was saying now the demand for Rolex has cooled, the AD’s have plenty of stock in their safes (excluding the really “hot” pieces of course), but they are still playing the “exhibition only” game to fool consumers. Very interesting video, I suspect he’s correct. Here’s the link

https://youtu.be/5peH_LxtELw?si=CgdTyjJvjWrSRYle
Tortoise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 09:11 PM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Personally…..I Have 0 interest in dealing with AD’s waiting lists, bundling, acting as if it’s a privilege to spend $$$$ to buy a Rolex. Until I can walk in and buy most any Rolex I’d want (like I did back when I started in ’97), I wouldn’t bother with and AD today. Prices are now starting to get fair with trusted sellers on NIB pieces. Not like it was 8-10 yrs ago when roles were reversed and the AD’s were the “expensive” way to go, and grey dealers offered a legitimate discount…but getting there.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 09:20 PM   #3
clubrcr
Banned

+1
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 09:21 PM   #4
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise99 View Post
I know many on this forum can’t stand Paul Thorpe but he posted an interesting video on YouTube a couple of days ago….

He was saying now the demand for Rolex has cooled, the AD’s have plenty of stock in their safes (excluding the really “hot” pieces of course), but they are still playing the “exhibition only” game to fool consumers. Very interesting video, I suspect he’s correct. Here’s the link

Paul Thorpe
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 10:18 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Rolex “exhibition only” farce over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Personally…..I Have 0 interest in dealing with AD’s waiting lists, bundling, acting as if it’s a privilege to spend $$$$ to buy a Rolex. Until I can walk in and buy most any Rolex I’d want (like I did back when I started in ’97), I wouldn’t bother with and AD today. Prices are now starting to get fair with trusted sellers on NIB pieces. Not like it was 8-10 yrs ago when roles were reversed and the AD’s were the “expensive” way to go, and grey dealers offered a legitimate discount…but getting there.

Agree Richard. The experience is 10x more enjoyable to get whatever I want in 24 hours without groveling to a jewelry store.

Even if your AD does take care of you…which is rare…you still have to pretend you’re thankful for this honor lol
Old 4 November 2023, 10:27 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Watches have always been available from AD's if you are the right person or it is the right time or both. I have seen SS Daytona-C's appear for a customer who purchased a super expensive Patek Phillippe. I have associates who are classified as whales and they get what they want, when they want it. For the average person, not so much, but the prices in the Grey Market are getting better and on some watches there does not seem to be much of a wait.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 10:37 PM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have built a relationship with many of our trusted sellers from the beginning of their business so I have zero interest in the AD culture.
Rolex in general will never let display cases be full again and neither will the AD.
Old 4 November 2023, 10:43 PM   #8
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Great topic worthy of Infinite fabricated subject matter.

Rolex is the perfect target for gullible viewers.

About Rolex - They don’t explain themselves. They don’t answer most non essential questions. They don’t talk about their upcoming watches. They’re largely secretive. They’re disinterested in countering fake narratives.

As one of the most recognizable brands on earth, placing their name in a Youtube video title garners clicks (aka clickbait).

While I can’t watch him, I take my hat off to Paul Thorpe for being able to stay relevant, pay his bills and travel the world via his youtube channel which seemingly focuses upon perpetuating unconfirmed narratives and unsubstantiated Rolex related bs.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 10:44 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The exhibition model still exists here. I was just contacted my AD yesterday
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 11:08 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Never believe everything you see on the net especially YouTube and most all things from Paul Thorpe.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:00 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Many here have already suggested that. The scarcity thing is really now just being played by many ADs fearful of putting watches in the case to change the market mood and further depress demand. FOMO is a big driver of all the hype.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:05 AM   #12
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
There are pre owned sports models for sale on the secondary market at or below MSRP. Clearly demand has cooled a bit. The question is only, how long until the back room safe gets too full? Maybe they’ll put a bunch out for the holiday?
Barada7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:07 AM   #13
Cgill1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Never believe everything you see on the net especially YouTube and most all things from Paul Thorpe.
I’m with you here!
Cgill1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:08 AM   #14
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barada7 View Post
There are pre owned sports models for sale on the secondary market at or below MSRP. Clearly demand has cooled a bit. The question is only, how long until the back room safe gets too full? Maybe they’ll put a bunch out for the holiday?
Black Friday sale !!!
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:09 AM   #15
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
Black Friday sale !!!
Lol. Maybe just wishful/delusional thinking on my part.
Barada7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:19 AM   #16
sinbad
"TRF" Member

The AD I went to yesterday told me that they are required to "exhibit" for a minimum of 60 days and then they can sell.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:30 AM   #17
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

My local AD has full Rolex cases of all Exhibition only pieces. They are, of course, going to be sold after the mandatory waiting period set by Rolex for every piece and the AD knows who the buyer for each is already

I wouldn’t call it a grace. Calling yourself a Rolex dealer with no Rolex models in an empty case was a farce.

At lease now you can see and touch and try on nearly every model so that you can decide if you do or don’t want that particular reference.

I’m Ok with it. MUCH better than no watches to see
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 01:12 AM   #18
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise99 View Post

His gigantic nose on his bumpy face just distracts me from listening to what he was talking about
Old 5 November 2023, 02:18 AM   #19
Tortoise99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollei35 View Post
His gigantic nose on his bumpy face just distracts me from listening to what he was talking about
That’s just disrespectful to the guy
Tortoise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:26 AM   #20
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
Quote:
Internet civility strikes again.
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:51 AM   #21
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Can you provide your personal opinion on paul thorpe’s content? I feel like he whines a lot but seems like im missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 03:10 AM   #22
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Paul Thorpe
Paul is a joke, he will say whatever he thinks will get him move views....

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 08:46 PM   #23
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Paul Thorpe is extremely knowledgeable about Rolex and yet maintains that he was completely unaware some years ago that his son Jamie sold nearly two thirds of a million pounds worth of fakes! This was done through a company called Ludgate Watches and resulted in his son’s prosecution. With Paul having been in the industry for years it seems totally reasonable to believe that he would never have talked to his son about what he was selling and where it came from etc.

Yeah right!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1603...rolex-watches/
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:22 PM   #24
sinbad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
The AD I went to yesterday told me that they are required to "exhibit" for a minimum of 60 days and then they can sell.
The AD I visited last Friday told me the same thing.

I pointed to the SS Pepsi and asked how long it's been in the case, he simply smiled and said there's a wait list for it. I'm sure exhibition DDs and DJs would have been available for sale.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:26 PM   #25
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Many here have already suggested that. The scarcity thing is really now just being played by many ADs fearful of putting watches in the case to change the market mood and further depress demand. FOMO is a big driver of all the hype.

Agreed. ADs are trying to get blood from a rock at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:31 PM   #26
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675, 116518
I was in Watches of Switzerland here in NY last week. They had display cases filled with multiple versions of the same pieces. It just didn't seem like they were display only. Like 20 different datejusts and every combination of the Mint green. I'm pretty sure they were ready to sell to the right client.

In the past, the display only versions I saw were rather repetitive from store to store, and limited to a piece or 2 from particular collections (every ad had, for example, white DJ oyster, and 2 tone gmt).

I think they are showing real stock.
NYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:12 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Look to folks for their substantive content and character. We are all blessed with our looks.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:14 AM   #28
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The farce may never be over. Likely we won't see full cases like before, 90% of stock will be in the safe. ADs have been able to sell their marked-up jewelry, Tudors, Grand Seikos and Omegas as "relationship builders." They'll continue the faux waiting lists indefinitely.

Not sure when it will be worth stepping into an AD again. My wife swears she'll never, ever visit another one. Maybe they'll dust off the list eventually and I'll get "the text"
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2023, 05:14 AM   #29
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
The AD I visited last Friday told me the same thing.

I pointed to the SS Pepsi and asked how long it's been in the case, he simply smiled and said there's a wait list for it. I'm sure exhibition DDs and DJs would have been available for sale.

They can sell, after a given time period, but must maintain a specific amount of exhibition pieces, at all times.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2023, 06:36 AM   #30
Subzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Paul Thorpe is extremely knowledgeable about Rolex and yet maintains that he was completely unaware some years ago that his son Jamie sold nearly two thirds of a million pounds worth of fakes! This was done through a company called Ludgate Watches and resulted in his son’s prosecution. With Paul having been in the industry for years it seems totally reasonable to believe that he would never have talked to his son about what he was selling and where it came from etc.

Yeah right!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1603...rolex-watches/

Thorpe is always keen to tell you which dealers he recommends you can trust. Anyone in this gallery look familiar

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chr...ng-6020327.amp
Subzy is offline   Reply With Quote