The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2023, 05:03 AM   #1
abacona
"TRF" Member

PP 3700 1A vs AP RD2

I am thinking of consolidating some watches into one of the below - I love thin watches!

Leaning towards the 3700 as the more economical (cringe as I say that but it’s 50k cheaper) and practical option (waterproof). Anyone swim with their 3700 on?

6.75in wrist

My only other watches would be an RM 72ti and a Pepsi 16710 (my sentimental do anything watch).

If I bought the AP, I would go for a Patek dress watch in a few years. If I bought the Patek, I would go Journe or Vacheron for my dress piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 05:42 AM   #2
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Well, you are on the Patek so I’ll say 3700.
I did own an AP 15400 st and it needed service three times in 7 years for poor timekeeping. So I sold it and will probably never own another AP. They were just so dismissive at both boutiques I visited. I’ve been asking for a 15202 since 2019 and bought the 15400 in 2016 and they don’t want my business and I don’t want to beg.
After owning a 15400 and wearing a 5712 stainless, I gotta say, the Nautilus is a way better watch. Even Gerald Genta said he was most proud of the 3700.
It’s got a screw down crown, which is great. Plus, there really aren’t a lot of 3700’s out there.
The AP RD2 is a cool looking watch with a great complication, I’m just no longer an AP fan.
Given that you have an RM and a Pepsi, you should own another icon and the 3700 fits the bill. I would just suggest you try on a 5712 first. It may save you a few bucks and in my opinion is cooler than a 3700 but it’s basically the same dimensions
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 05:52 AM   #3
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I did own an AP 15400 st and it needed service three times in 7 years for poor timekeeping. So I sold it and will probably never own another AP. They were just so dismissive at both boutiques I visited. I’ve been asking for a 15202 since 2019 and bought the 15400 in 2016 and they don’t want my business and I don’t want to beg.
After owning a 15400 and wearing a 5712 stainless, I gotta say, the Nautilus is a way better watch. Even Gerald Genta said he was most proud of the 3700.
It’s got a screw down crown, which is great. Plus, there really aren’t a lot of 3700’s out there.
The AP RD2 is a cool looking watch with a great complication, I’m just no longer an AP fan.
Given that you have an RM and a Pepsi, you should own another icon and the 3700 fits the bill. I would just suggest you try on a 5712 first. It may save you a few bucks and in my opinion is cooler than a 3700 but it’s basically the same dimensions

Thank you for the input! I currently have the 5712 and it was one of the pieces I was considering consolidating (and a 15202). I actually love both the moonphase and the jumbo, but got to spend some time with a 3700 and felt like it was truly a special piece in the way that only vintage pieces can feel.

These modern pieces feel like arguably better expressions of the classic design (build-wise) but it almost feels like holding a museum artifact when I had the 3700 in hand! Such a cool experience. Part of me feels afraid others will come to the same realization and the 3700 will one day become prohibitively expensive.

One consideration is also having to baby the 3700. I currently baby the RM, but not the 5712 or Jumbo. I have a feeling that if I consolidated, I may spend even more time with the ol faithful Pepsi.

Old 9 November 2023, 06:04 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Personally, I would recommend looking at the 3712. It has a moonphase complication, 2 piece case construction and also one of the rarest mass production Nautilus (1 year production run). The 3700 to me reflects the build quality of that era, and going from a 5712 you have to the 3700, you will probably feel immensely disappointed once the novelty wears off. The 3700 does not even have a see through case back.

The RD2 is a modern watch, but it’s super costly. Also it’s too thin to have a good feel on the wrist. All the ultra thin watches for some reason look good in pictures but wear terribly in person. The same issue with the RM UP-01 - lovely in professional shots, weird on wrist shots.

I honestly can’t recommend either, considering the price of both and the pieces you are consolidating.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 06:32 AM   #5
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Glad to know you’ve experienced the 15202 and 5712.
And I get the feeling of baby-ing the watch. I’m in that stage with my 5712 now.
I treated my 116520 like a baby for years and now that it’s nice and worn in, I am no longer afraid to wear it and can enjoy it which is really nice.
If the 3700 gives you those feelings, then I would definitely jump on it.
It wasn’t a popular watch in the 70’s and while we will probably never know real numbers, there just weren’t that many. Heck, a platinum 3700 that looks real close to the one in your picture just sold for $2mil.
Patek can always service it in the future if you beat it up or it’s stops working.
Plus it may be a low key watch, which I something I’ve come to enjoy lately.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 07:36 AM   #6
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
PP 3700 1A vs AP RD2

Of the two, the Patek for sure. But I’d be hard pressed to trade the 5712/1A towards it.
Old 9 November 2023, 08:42 AM   #7
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Personally, I would recommend looking at the 3712. It has a moonphase complication, 2 piece case construction and also one of the rarest mass production Nautilus (1 year production run). The 3700 to me reflects the build quality of that era, and going from a 5712 you have to the 3700, you will probably feel immensely disappointed once the novelty wears off. The 3700 does not even have a see through case back.

The RD2 is a modern watch, but it’s super costly. Also it’s too thin to have a good feel on the wrist. All the ultra thin watches for some reason look good in pictures but wear terribly in person. The same issue with the RM UP-01 - lovely in professional shots, weird on wrist shots.

I honestly can’t recommend either, considering the price of both and the pieces you are consolidating.

You might be right about the lower build quality on the 3700. But one thing I noticed is it’s immensely more comfortable than the 5712. It wears more like a 5 digit Rolex which I’ve found to be the most comfortable on my oddly shaped wrist. (Even more comfortable than ti RM on rubber strap!)

Hearing some of your feedback I’m definitely considering just holding onto what I have now

Old 9 November 2023, 08:44 AM   #8
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad to know you’ve experienced the 15202 and 5712.
And I get the feeling of baby-ing the watch. I’m in that stage with my 5712 now.
I treated my 116520 like a baby for years and now that it’s nice and worn in, I am no longer afraid to wear it and can enjoy it which is really nice.
If the 3700 gives you those feelings, then I would definitely jump on it.
It wasn’t a popular watch in the 70’s and while we will probably never know real numbers, there just weren’t that many. Heck, a platinum 3700 that looks real close to the one in your picture just sold for $2mil.
Patek can always service it in the future if you beat it up or it’s stops working.
Plus it may be a low key watch, which I something I’ve come to enjoy lately.

I definitely enjoy a nice low key watch, especially with my recent RM addition

It has a different wearing experience which is a nice contrast to have in the collection. Luxury items are personal indulgences!

Old 9 November 2023, 08:44 AM   #9
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Of the two, the Patek for sure. But I’d be hard pressed to trade the 5712/1A towards it.

I’m starting to weigh this thought process more as well. Thanks for your thoughts

Old 9 November 2023, 10:46 AM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
That’s a pretty easy call

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 10:59 AM   #11
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Prefer your current position.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 11:57 AM   #12
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Easy choice for me, RD2
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 12:40 PM   #13
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I love my nautilus and all, but compared to the RD2? Easy call.

Edit to add specs of Rd2 for those not completely familiar:

Case:
Diameter: 41mm
Thickness: 6.2mm
Weight: 75 grams

Movement

Functions: Hours, minutes, perpetual calendar, moon phase, day/night
Diameter: 32mm
Thickness: 2.9mm
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 02:43 PM   #14
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
3700’s do not have a screw down crown.
Old 9 November 2023, 03:33 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Easy, always Patek > AP in absolutely every watch battle.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 08:42 PM   #16
Gent675
"TRF" Member

One of the better discussions on the forum lately.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 11:03 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Keep what you currently have and go for the Journe right now instead.
Old 10 November 2023, 12:58 AM   #18
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Keep what you currently have and go for the Journe right now instead.

That’s a move. Have you seen anyone get a Havana dial as their first watch? What is the feasibility of something like this?

Old 10 November 2023, 01:00 AM   #19
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent675 View Post
One of the better discussions on the forum lately.

Glad to hear this - have these discussions with myself all day in my head

Old 10 November 2023, 01:04 AM   #20
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
That’s a pretty easy call

Easy which way

Old 10 November 2023, 01:06 AM   #21
APhound
"TRF" Member

I tried that jumbo recently and it’s amazing. I would absolutely rather have that than the nautilus. Had a very special feeling to it. I thought the platinum gave the perfect amount of weight to the titanium. My vote by a country mile.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 01:08 AM   #22
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Easy, always Patek > AP in absolutely every watch battle.

This is often the case except in the instances of skeleton + ceramic pieces + sporty perpetuals

No/minimal comparables on the PP side so a default forfeit is dealt

If you’re talking gold pieces, chronos, semi complicated sports watches, grand comps, PP all the way

Old 10 November 2023, 01:11 AM   #23
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I tried that jumbo recently and it’s amazing. I would absolutely rather have that than the nautilus. Had a very special feeling to it. I thought the platinum gave the perfect amount of weight to the titanium. My vote by a country mile.

Yeah it’s honestly a really subtle mix of materials and execution. TI+platinum is also one of those ones when it comes to mixed materials!! Definitely a scratch magnet but worth the heartache

How did you feel about the wafer style dial/subdials? What’s your wrist size? Have you tried the 3700 before?

Old 10 November 2023, 01:12 AM   #24
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacona View Post
This is often the case except in the instances of skeleton + ceramic pieces + sporty perpetuals

No/minimal comparables on the PP side so a default forfeit is dealt

If you’re talking gold pieces, chronos, semi complicated sports watches, grand comps, PP all the way

Well it’s a personal opinion. For the most part I’d take AP over PP.

Old 10 November 2023, 01:18 AM   #25
APhound
"TRF" Member

PP 3700 1A vs AP RD2

Quote:
Yeah it’s honestly a really subtle mix of materials and execution. TI+platinum is also one of those ones when it comes to mixed materials!! Definitely a scratch magnet but worth the heartache

How did you feel about the wafer style dial/subdials? What’s your wrist size? Have you tried the 3700 before?

I have a big wrist prob 7.5? I don’t know.
This was a very exciting watch for me to see and try on. Probably a top 3 all time for me.
I haven’t tried a 3700 or even seen one but I did recently buy a white 5711 and I love it, a lot, but this AP was just so much more in every way. The dial looked great and it was very impressive. Nothing bad to say about it.
But again, i am more of an AP guy than patek. They’re just more my style.

What do you wear more, royal oak or nautilus?

Old 10 November 2023, 01:34 AM   #26
abacona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I have a big wrist prob 7.5? I don’t know.
This was a very exciting watch for me to see and try on. Probably a top 3 all time for me.
I haven’t tried a 3700 or even seen one but I did recently buy a white 5711 and I love it, a lot, but this AP was just so much more in every way. The dial looked great and it was very impressive. Nothing bad to say about it.
But again, i am more of an AP guy than patek. They’re just more my style.

What do you wear more, royal oak or nautilus?

I wear the nautilus more by a country mile. But the AP was my first love.

Did you like the delicate feel of the RD2? The Patek has a similar sensation in hand. It’s sorta the “oh I thought this was going to be 25g heavier” thought

Old 10 November 2023, 02:00 AM   #27
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wear the nautilus more by a country mile. But the AP was my first love.

Did you like the delicate feel of the RD2? The Patek has a similar sensation in hand. It’s sorta the “oh I thought this was going to be 25g heavier” thought

Well I just think it would need to be sorta a special watch, not for everyday. I too would have needed to trade a royal oak and a nautilus to justify it and, well, I didn’t. I don’t know if it’s something I would consolidate into, it would have had to be, well I got an extra 200k on me, box it up. And at the time I didn’t have the dough to just buy it.

At one time I consolidated a bunch of watches into a perpetual royal oak and wore it every day no problem. I’m just not sure this would work for that (for me at least).
But would be very fun to pull out once in a while.

Good luck with your journey/ decision. It’s most of the fun anyway.

Old 10 November 2023, 02:29 AM   #28
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Easy which way

Patek. AP in my view is not this level.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 02:41 AM   #29
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the input! I currently have the 5712 and it was one of the pieces I was considering consolidating (and a 15202). I actually love both the moonphase and the jumbo, but got to spend some time with a 3700 and felt like it was truly a special piece in the way that only vintage pieces can feel.

These modern pieces feel like arguably better expressions of the classic design (build-wise) but it almost feels like holding a museum artifact when I had the 3700 in hand! Such a cool experience. Part of me feels afraid others will come to the same realization and the 3700 will one day become prohibitively expensive.

One consideration is also having to baby the 3700. I currently baby the RM, but not the 5712 or Jumbo. I have a feeling that if I consolidated, I may spend even more time with the ol faithful Pepsi.

Missing out on a full set 3700 with cork box is my biggest watch regret. It felt certainly more special on the wrist than 5711/12. But a decade ago I just didn't know enough for a quick private deal with my hairdresser who was selling. The biggest dealer in town didn't hesitate and gone was the 3700.

That said, I wouldn't trade the 5711 I got as consolation towards a 3700 today as it makes a difference to me that I have had that one since new and in my name.

Unlike the 3700 the RD2 doesn't get me excited. I'd prefer a black ceramic QP or 5740 but I am not a huge fan of calendar complications in sports watches where I tend to value simplicity and legibility over complexity.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:25 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
That’s a move. Have you seen anyone get a Havana dial as their first watch? What is the feasibility of something like this?

It’s possible you just need to spend a lot of time schmoozing the boutique and going to events. If not a first definitely a second piece.