The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2023, 08:06 PM   #1
Beaver_1
"TRF" Member

Icon20 DateJust 41mm Fluted Blue Dial - AD Waiting times? London

Hi everyone,

Having started a new job, I've decided to pull the trigger for a DateJust 41mm Fluted Blue Dial in the Jubilee bracelet. I went to an AD yesterday (in London), and put my name on the 'waiting list'. However, by the sounds of how the representative was talking, I think it's unlikely I'll ever get the call. I read online how to approach ADs and whatnot, so I like to think I did not turn up looking like a homeless person and showed a quite serious interest in it. It's possible that because I'm relatively young the representative may have thought I was not awfully serious.

Of course, I could buy the watch from the grey market, but out of principle for buying my first Rolex, I'd much prefer to actually get one from an AD (and I'm not made of money to throw out on the premium without exhausting all the options through the AD).

I know that this model is quite popular, so there may be some waiting time here from ADs, but is there any indication of how long I should be waiting?
What should my strategy be in terms of trying to minimise the waiting time? For those in London, is there an AD you would recommend?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts/advice! I'm also new to the forum so apologies in advance in case I posted in the incorrect category, etc.

Thanks
Beaver_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 09:04 PM   #2
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

If you want it buy it on the secondary market. Ive been waiting for a similar configuration in 36mm for 18 months now.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 10:00 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Do your research on what the watch would cost through a reputable secondary market source. Look at all the options and make a decision. The "buy the first piece through an AD" is internet nonsense. It is about the watch, the buying experience and the price. You can have as good or better buying experience through the right secondary market dealer and have the watch now, with no games. Good luck and and you picked a great reference.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 10:11 PM   #4
learningtofly

Watch: Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Do your research on what the watch would cost through a reputable secondary market source. Look at all the options and make a decision. The "buy the first piece through an AD" is internet nonsense. It is about the watch, the buying experience and the price. You can have as good or better buying experience through the right secondary market dealer and have the watch now, with no games. Good luck and and you picked a great reference.
Agreed, and wearing mine as I type. As many will know, the DJ41 is a hair's breadth under 40mm, so very wearable indeed (my wrist is 6.75").

Old 10 November 2023, 12:32 AM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
You should be able to ask an AD to order that specific configuration for you. You would pay for it upfront , but be guaranteed to receive it. It might take months for delivery, though.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 12:41 AM   #6
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

While I am in the USA... my blue Datejust (fluted / jubilee) took 11 months to come in from initial order. Ordered in Nov 2022 and received in Oct 2023.

Upon placing the order my AD informed me that the blue was one of the highest demand dials. She also told me I was #9 on the list for the color. During the months of wait I would shoot her an e-mail and ask how my placement was moving down the list.
oak3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 01:28 AM   #7
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You should be able to ask an AD to order that specific configuration for you. You would pay for it upfront , but be guaranteed to receive it. It might take months for delivery, though.

Kat

I asked my AD to order my DJ. They told me they have everything currently on order.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 01:38 AM   #8
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
Agreed, and wearing mine as I type. As many will know, the DJ41 is a hair's breadth under 40mm, so very wearable indeed (my wrist is 6.75").

That’s an awesome shot!

Absolutely loving this DJ now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 01:44 AM   #9
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
I have this exact configuration. I love it. Here's an old picture.

I got it in 2020 after showing interest in early 2019. I got offered one in late 2019. I told my SA the timing wasn't right. He basically said buy it today, or I'm going to have it sold tomorrow, and your going to have to wait 6 months. I passed, and instantly regretted it. Luckily he came back to me in August of 2020.

My understanding at the time was that this watch was basically an allotted watch. That may have changed in the interim.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
taylor2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 01:54 AM   #10
learningtofly

Watch: Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglondon View Post
That’s an awesome shot!

Absolutely loving this DJ now.
Thanks. It's a beautiful thing for sure.
Old 10 November 2023, 02:55 AM   #11
SavGADawg
"TRF" Member

The ADs I've spoken with in GA / FL are only taking orders on 36mm DJs or smaller. I have a 36mm ordered for my wife to commemorate our 20th anniversary in 2026. Ordered it in 2023 just to be sure.

Quote:

Kat

Casio Pro Trek
SavGADawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 04:11 AM   #12
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

You can't do that in the UK, well you definitely can't at WOS stores that's for sure
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:44 AM   #13
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

That configuration is probably the most sought after other the mint green , probably longer than a couple months to obtain.

Best going grey , probably get one for £10k
Old 10 November 2023, 06:55 AM   #14
Beaver_1
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone.

The model appears to be substantially more in demand than I thought, so I do think it's unlikely that I will be getting one from the AD.

I've done some research on where to purchase the watch (albeit at a premium) online and found a few listings for this year's model for approximately 12,000 GBP on Chrono24. It does seem like it's quite a steep price increase, but do you think this is a fair ask, considering that if I purchase it I'll get the watch within days, rather than within years?

Thanks again for your insights.
Beaver_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 09:41 AM   #15
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone.

The model appears to be substantially more in demand than I thought, so I do think it's unlikely that I will be getting one from the AD.

I've done some research on where to purchase the watch (albeit at a premium) online and found a few listings for this year's model for approximately 12,000 GBP on Chrono24. It does seem like it's quite a steep price increase, but do you think this is a fair ask, considering that if I purchase it I'll get the watch within days, rather than within years?

Thanks again for your insights.
The longer you wait the price of the msrp is going to go up, so you might as well get it sooner than later.
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 03:29 PM   #16
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure if the OP is referring to the watches being posted or the actual fluted (motif) dial. If referring to the actual fluted motif dial the AD wait could be even longer…
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote