The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2024, 08:35 PM   #1
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I could be wrong

And I do not care is the 36mm making a comeback in popularity, I mean Panerai started the hype is everything going smaller like me?

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 08:45 PM   #2
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Purchase the watch that speaks to you !Berty there is truth to your statement !!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 09:39 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t know about a trend per se but I certainly have to say that I’ve gravitated toward smaller watches as I get a bit further along in my journey.

Watches in the 40 mm size range just seem to suit me best. They aren’t overly large and they aren’t too small.

They slide under a cuff easily and they’re just easier to wear (for me).

I’ve owned up to 47 mm, and really did love larger watches at one point. Now, I guess I just want to wear references that still have some wrist presence without all the bulk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 09:48 PM   #4
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Regarding the smaller trend I have a GShock GSteel and over the last 5 years they have come down with each issue from over 50mm and the new release is 42mm.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 10:30 PM   #5
Ninja Master
"TRF" Member

I have a 36" OP and a 42" Speedmaster. Both look good on my wrist.

I prefer smaller, but I like we have options and everyone should get what they like and what works on their wrist.
Ninja Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:01 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Plenty of opportunity to own watches in any size that appeals to you. I have watches from 39mm to 49mm and wear them all when I cycle through the collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:27 PM   #7
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
There will always be a wide range in sizes to choose from regardless of what's trending. 40-44mm seems to be my sweet spot.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 12:15 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
There’s no question smaller watches have been en vogue the last year or two. I attribute it to people’s obsession with the crash and other vintage Cartier.

Personally I find 38-40 to be my preference but I’ll wear any size if I love the watch. I’m actually more concerned with case thickness and weight than diameter.
Old 19 February 2024, 12:28 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I wear all sizes. To me there is no correct size. Whatever suits at the moment is the right size.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 01:06 AM   #10
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

I find there are a lot of variables other than size. I generally find watches over 40mm not comfortable for a day, I've discovered. But there are exceptions. Yachtmaster 42 springs to mind. Supremely comfortable on my wrist.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 01:11 AM   #11
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I’m going to wear the 50mm Deepsea Challenge today, just to be contrary.
Old 19 February 2024, 01:14 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I’m going to wear the 50mm Deepsea Challenge today, just to be contrary.
That’s showing us
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 01:19 AM   #13
77T

Could 34mm be far behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 01:20 AM   #14
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I could be wrong

I don’t see it trending one way or the other industry wide. Large watches aren’t going away, no doubt. But I think we’re also seeing a lot more options for smaller watches across the industry. So I see more options across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 02:16 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Watch and dial design are far more important than the actual measurement. For example, the 41mm DJ looks too big to my eye because of the layout and width of the hands, while the 36mm DJ looks perfect. Same with the Explorer. Sometimes there’s too much real estate on the dial.

But the 41mm Sub looks perfect too, and a 36mm version would look silly. Again, don’t get hung up on numbers and instead see how it looks on the wrist.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 05:53 AM   #16
Jonny8
"TRF" Member

38mm is probably the smallest I enjoy before I think it looks too small for me. My sweet spot is 40mm but agree it depends on the watch. Also there are other figures that come into play such as lug to lug and thickness.
Jonny8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 08:11 AM   #17
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I have recently been thinking about smaller watches and have tried on couple of 37mm watches (not too expensive) with the idea that if I liked the size I would think about DJ 36 or exp 36. I liked them for a couple of days but then later I started to think they are too small for my wrist.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 08:50 AM   #18
Order 72
Banned

Panerai now has quaranta, 40mm, choices in luminor and radiomir, which are super nice.
Order 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 09:15 AM   #19
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Too small > too large.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 09:35 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmmmmm... now call me crazy, yet i wear what i love. You know, enjoy your time and all that. Plus different situations kinda dictate a different timepiece.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 09:53 AM   #21
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Trend toward smaller? Seems like Rolex has made their signature watches a bit more robust, yet refined with each update over the last 10 years.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 09:59 AM   #22
DannyO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 14060
I have a theory that the less cluttered the dial, the smaller the watch. Explorer 1, Tudor Ranger, Precision 5500, Rolex OP 36, 37 Yacht Master etc. I could kick myself for passing on a Rolex OP 34 Olive, what a sleeper of a watch.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 10:11 AM   #23
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

lug to lug and thinness are important. dial size is irrelevant to wear - it is just taste
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 10:24 AM   #24
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It depends on the watch design. Panerai for example still has its 44mm as its most popular size. Rolex design lends its self to 36-40mm. What I am getting at its design is as important as its measurements.
Old 19 February 2024, 10:37 AM   #25
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
There has been a definite trend towards smaller watches over the last several years.

I work in fashion with all the trendy kids (I am neither) and they all wear 36 or even smaller. Ironically, their pants and shirts get more oversized though. Go figure.

The only people holding on to the oversized watch look seem to be ppl 45 and older and came of age in the watch game during the Panerai craze. Same people that say a Daytona is a women’s watch (eye roll). And/or people from Florida. Joking!

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 10:42 AM   #26
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Watch and dial design are far more important than the actual measurement. For example, the 41mm DJ looks too big to my eye because of the layout and width of the hands, while the 36mm DJ looks perfect. Same with the Explorer. Sometimes there’s too much real estate on the dial.

But the 41mm Sub looks perfect too, and a 36mm version would look silly. Again, don’t get hung up on numbers and instead see how it looks on the wrist.

I totally agree.

I have fully embraced watches under 40. Will only buy a DJ/DD/OP in 36, but I do feel the Sub41 works due to its excellent proportions. While the previous SubC 40 does not work due to its unique proportions.

And yes, can’t go on size measurement alone. Execution is paramount.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 11:11 AM   #27
ndirish2001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

The 41mm DJ looks odd in part because the bezel is disproportionately large. It’s about 50% wider than the bezel on the 36mm DJ.

ndirish2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 12:02 PM   #28
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Being a female, I find 36 mm a great size. It looks substantial, but not overpowering. So, it’s a perfect size, for me. For a man, I like 39 to 42, assuming the 42’s lugs do not overhang the sides of his wrist. Here, I’ve noticed some guys with skinny wrists wear watches, that I consider too big for them. It could just be the orientation of their pics, though. I think the Skydweller looks too big, on a lot of guys. As for the DayDate, I generally prefer the 36 mm on most people, male, or female. I feel like such an elegant piece should be a bit on the smaller side, though, of course it’s more prominent, on a female wrist. Being PM, the 36 works well, on a woman. These are just my personal observations.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 12:10 PM   #29
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I just recently picked up an Omega Ultra Deep…..so, there’s that.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 12:31 PM   #30
Mccall86
"TRF" Member

I used to wear 40mm+ divers every day. My intro to Rolex was a DJ36. At first it seemed small but I loved the wearability and proportions of it. I wear long sleeves pretty much all winter and it slides under cuffs effortlessly. I've been wearing it almost every day since picking it up and have downsized my collection to just 3 watches now. I still have a 40mm Seiko spb143 dive watch and it seems almost too big to wear now. I have 7.25" wrists so I can definitely pull off larger watches but I don't see myself wearing anything over 40mm again. I am actually looking to pick up a 16570 Exp II because of its smaller size for a tool watch and then I'll have the perfect collection for me. I don't care about following trends but it does seem like smaller sizes are becoming more popular.
Mccall86 is offline   Reply With Quote