The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2024, 03:30 PM   #1
MSL997
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 & 116520s
Daytona 116508 Green Dial

Grey market pricing has now fallen to low $70Ks and is starting to get interesting. No one is really talking about this. I have never seen a watch so volatile on pricing as it screamed to $125K+ after discontinuation one year behind.

I understand that some black dials have been switched out for green. When purchasing from grey, how can one tell if it came as the original green dial. Does the white tag have special serial # of the green dial?

TIA my Rolex Coalition members.
Old 1 March 2024, 04:41 PM   #2
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
Grey market pricing has now fallen to low $70Ks and is starting to get interesting. No one is really talking about this. I have never seen a watch so volatile on pricing as it screamed to $125K+ after discontinuation one year behind.

I understand that some black dials have been switched out for green. When purchasing from grey, how can one tell if it came as the original green dial. Does the white tag have special serial # of the green dial?

TIA my Rolex Coalition members.
The white tag tells you what dial the watch should have
Old 2 March 2024, 08:52 AM   #3
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Prices are only headed south. It’s a slow unraveling of the insanity that’s going to reward those that are patient.

I think the JM will always command a healthy premium, but I can see this down into the low $60s or even upper $50s for older models with some wear on them.

One must keep in mind there are 10s of thousands of these out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 March 2024, 08:59 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Prices are only headed south. It’s a slow unraveling of the insanity that’s going to reward those that are patient.

I think the JM will always command a healthy premium, but I can see this down into the low $60s or even upper $50s for older models with some wear on them.

One must keep in mind there are 10s of thousands of these out there.

I’m not sure about only heading south.

Bitcoin is over 60k again and near its all time high. Watches could get a bump….

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 09:23 AM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Prices will rebound at some point enjoy these times while you can
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 10:04 AM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

It was way way overpriced 12-18 months ago.

Especially when the equally interesting if not more versatile at the expense of lustre WG blue dial variant never really broke 45k gbp 55k usd - which is certainly surprising given every other sought after watch from other brands tended to be a white metal blue dial.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 11:41 AM   #7
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I’m not sure about only heading south.

Bitcoin is over 60k again and near its all time high. Watches could get a bump….

BTC by itself will never fuel the stupidity we just went through.

Of course there will always be the “new new” each year that fuel a crazy unsustainable price, classic pieces that define a brand, and truly rare pieces. All of these will always have some type of premium. But these are the exceptions.

Everything else is headed lower. Crypto may provide a very small bump in the short term, but there’s no changing the trend. In most cases there are SO MANY of these watches and we’re nearing a point where the rest of the world is fighting off economic turmoil or geopolitical instability. Not to mention flippers are gone because it’s simply not worth it and access at MSRP will only increase. Dealers can’t sustain insane prices by trading back and forth when the real consumer demand is substantially lower.

I personally welcome back the normal times. I’m still thankful there’s a hobby like this where if you are wise you can sustain 80% to 85% of the money you put into it.

Old 2 March 2024, 01:17 PM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
BTC by itself will never fuel the stupidity we just went through.

Of course there will always be the “new new” each year that fuel a crazy unsustainable price, classic pieces that define a brand, and truly rare pieces. All of these will always have some type of premium. But these are the exceptions.

Everything else is headed lower. Crypto may provide a very small bump in the short term, but there’s no changing the trend. In most cases there are SO MANY of these watches and we’re nearing a point where the rest of the world is fighting off economic turmoil or geopolitical instability. Not to mention flippers are gone because it’s simply not worth it and access at MSRP will only increase. Dealers can’t sustain insane prices by trading back and forth when the real consumer demand is substantially lower.

I personally welcome back the normal times. I’m still thankful there’s a hobby like this where if you are wise you can sustain 80% to 85% of the money you put into it.

I don’t think BTC will fuel another bull run by “itself” but it can contribute to it just like it did in 2020/2021.

It’s indisputable that many crypto bros were cashing out of their digital currency for watches. It feels like we are reaching that apex again for a run of cash-outs.

I know nothing about nothing but your take does seem awfully pessimistic to me about the overall economy and in line with many of the people that have banging on the recession drum for the last two years and we haven’t seen that yet.

Old 2 March 2024, 01:32 PM   #9
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I don’t think BTC will fuel another bull run by “itself” but it can contribute to it just like it did in 2020/2021.

It’s indisputable that many crypto bros were cashing out of their digital currency for watches. It feels like we are reaching that apex again for a run of cash-outs.

I know nothing about nothing but your take does seem awfully pessimistic to me about the overall economy and in line with many of the people that have banging on the recession drum for the last two years and we haven’t seen that yet.

I am not pessimistic about the U.S. economy at all. I’m merely stating what is now true about the watch market.

In terms of pessimism, one cannot deny that China is a mess, which was the biggest rocket fuel for the 2020 to 2023 watch market nuttiness.

If crypto was going to fuel a watch market run up, where is it? Crypto has been headed nowhere but higher the last 4 months. And watch prices, on the whole, CONTINUE to fall. Don’t believe me? Head over to Moda and see for yourself. Prices across the board are 5 to 10% less than they were pre-Holidays. And the only things that move are things that are priced at all time lows.

Want more proof? Try and sell something. If it’s not a hot Rolex model, I hope you’re sitting down when you get your offer.

So I don’t feel I’m all doom and gloom. I’m just bringing up what I see.

Old 2 March 2024, 01:37 PM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am not pessimistic about the U.S. economy at all. I’m merely stating what is now true about the watch market.

In terms of pessimism, one cannot deny that China is a mess, which was the biggest rocket fuel for the 2020 to 2023 watch market nuttiness.

If crypto was going to fuel a watch market run up, where is it? Crypto has been headed nowhere but higher the last 4 months. And watch prices, on the whole, CONTINUE to fall. Don’t believe me? Head over to Moda and see for yourself. Prices across the board are 5 to 10% less than they were pre-Holidays. And the only things that move are things that are priced at all time lows.

Want more proof? Try and sell something. If it’s not a hot Rolex model, I hope you’re sitting down when you get your offer.

So I don’t feel I’m all doom and gloom. I’m just bringing up what I see.

Ok. It took far longer than a 4 month run to help fuel watch prices the last time.

I sell watches and have sold multiple watches this past year. Most sold within a few days of offering and very close to full ask. The large margins you are eluding to with selling to dealers has always existed and will continue to exist. Don’t mistake that as a sign of doom and gloom.

Old 2 March 2024, 01:45 PM   #11
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

The market will ebb and flow and probably prove us both right and wrong in a shorter period of time than we think

I certainly am not wishing doom on the market. I just think we’re on a path back to 2018-2020, at best.

And while I probably don’t know the direction of the next market move, what I’m certain of is we will never never ever ever see a repeat of 2021-2023.