The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex & Other Watch Links & Resources

Old 11 October 2009, 12:36 AM   #1
PHPuser

Watch: none anymore
Master Watchmaker?

How much of a difference is there between a master watchmaker and a certified watchmaker and how many are there in the states?
PHPuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
It depends on when they tested 25 years ago the difference was measuring cutting and fitting a balance staff using a lathe also making a stem. Today with more complicated watches the new century 21 watch certification you have to pass 5 disiplines. Theory of Horology the written part math calculations how and why a watch works.Then Micro mechanical parts cutting out a balance staff ,restaffing poiseing set up of balance wheel in movement, Then complete diagnostic and repair of 7750 Valjous chronograph,then and automatic ETA movement do the same as the 7750 then a quartz movement all of the above.The test is 4 days long I do mine next week again after 30 years in order to keep my parts accounts and stay in business. I beleive they're 16,000 watchmakers worldwide with the need for about 45,000 don't quote me but i think that's close. As to how many of each don't know. As soon as i get my Certified I will test next year for my masters. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Wow........good luck on your test Rik! Everything but the math sounds fun!

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 02:16 PM   #4
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
The test is 4 days long I do mine next week again after 30 years in order to keep my parts accounts and stay in business.
Rikki Good luck with the test.I am sure you will pass

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
The test is 4 days long I do mine next week again after 30 years.... As soon as i get my Certified I will test next year for my masters. Rik
Wow, very informative answer Rik thanks . So it takes over 30 years experience to become a Master?

Btw Good luck for your test.

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
You can't even take the test without at least 3 to 5 years of experience except if you go to school. Now the stats on school most new students are taught the technical aspects how to use your hands but they have very little diagnostic skills and that takes time to learn all the different calibres and their little quirks. Not totally sure on the numbers but only 45 to 60 % of students are passing the first time they test. In the past to take the test you would find a proctor to administer the exam who was approved by the AWCI they would send him the exam material and give you the test without any real time constraints but usually you'd get it done in less than a month. Then the proctor would send in the results to the board of examiners for the results.You would then, if passed be awarded your certificate. The proctor could be another watchmaker or a notary or someone with authority. I wish they would still do it that way, would save on travel and you could do it in your own environment with your own tools but alas it's not to be for now. I thank you all for your encouragement hope to do you all proud. Thanx Rik PS in the past you have to start with certified watchmaker then wait I believe 3 years before you could test for master.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 05:48 PM   #7
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
my sincerest wishes for your test Rik...I am sure with your great tech knowledge, you'd do great

hey and sorry to differ with you Patrick, I thought 'now thats the only section I could actually take on' (maths)..I thought thats the best part :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote