The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 November 2006, 12:34 PM   #1
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Tempted to flip!

I'm tempted to flip my 14060 for a 16600. Reason being is that the SD has no cyclops plus it has a date. Also after trying Roger's SD and the one at RDV, it was surprisingly light and comfortable!

On the flip side, no pun intended, the 14060 has a clean look. Don't know what to do... I also just got the 14060 serviced so don't want to really give it up.

I'm going to go to Van Rjkes this Friday along with Pete to check out pricing for used SDs.

May I get advice from y'all on what you'd do?

Thanks,

Vernon
Old 7 November 2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me throw this monkey wrench into your deliberations.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 12:49 PM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, I think the SD has a clean utilitarian look in keeping with the "tool watch" tradition.
It's certainly a watch that has a special history and the 3135 movement is a rock hard piece of equiment.
I think barring a nice 5513 I'd be tempted to go for it.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Go with what makes you smile They're both great watches
Old 7 November 2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Mrdi
Banned

pop off the cyclops
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

SD doesn't have any cyclops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
pop off the cyclops
Old 7 November 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike, CJ for your thoughts. I have a feeling that I need to save up for an SD and keep the 14060.

Ed, you're not making it easy on me
Old 7 November 2006, 01:29 PM   #8
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Thanks Mike, CJ for your thoughts. I have a feeling that I need to save up for an SD and keep the 14060.

Ed, you're not making it easy on me
They're both so similar though. Wouldn't you rather have one of that style and maybe a strap watch or something a little different?
Old 7 November 2006, 02:13 PM   #9
wonghonchung

Don't go to Van Rijk. Both me and Roger can go on a very long rant about that, as Roger succinctly said they have a "No Chink Policy", which I frankly agree with, Anyways you will pay a lot more than you need to, and you will get ripped off if you trade in, they won't give you much for your 14060, but charge an exhorbitant amount for it when they sell it.

I recommend going on Timezone, you'll find a much better deal, and you'll get a lot more than you would from Van Rijk. Or I would recommend you go to Nezam's place.
wonghonchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 02:36 PM   #10
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Good idea, I'll drop by to visit Nezam's.
Old 7 November 2006, 04:29 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
I'm tempted to flip my 14060 for a 16600. Reason being is that the SD has no cyclops plus it has a date. Also after trying Roger's SD and the one at RDV, it was surprisingly light and comfortable!

On the flip side, no pun intended, the 14060 has a clean look. Don't know what to do... I also just got the 14060 serviced so don't want to really give it up.

I'm going to go to Van Rjkes this Friday along with Pete to check out pricing for used SDs.

Thanks,

Vernon
Vernon,

The SD would be an excellent buy, but try not to take too big a hit on the no date Sub.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 10:41 PM   #12
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Re: SD

Hello Vernon

I love the SD as well as the no date Sub. Difficult question.

The best you can do is keep the Sub and then buy a SD funds permitting.

But if I had the choice of one it would definitely be the SD. COSC rated, date, no cyclops, HEV. It's got it all.

I don't know if we are allowed to, so moderators please delete this sentence if required. There's a guy on TURF called Stryke (real name Gil) who is the Forum Moderator who also sells a lot of new watches at great prices.

Hope this helps.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 12:17 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I would go along with Mike on this.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 01:35 AM   #14
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Nezam has one in stock I beleive. Like Thomas said stay away from Van Riik, they have a no chinks policy there that really gets my blood boiling. I went in there with the full intention of spending $5000+ but was treated like a theif when my phone rang and I picked it up. The sales woman yelled at me to turn it off. I asked why and she said I could be setting them up to rob them. WTF?????? I later learned that they were robbed a few times before and now treat asians like that.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 01:44 AM   #15
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well, I think the SD has a clean utilitarian look in keeping with the "tool watch" tradition.
It's certainly a watch that has a special history and the 3135 movement is a rock hard piece of equiment.
I think barring a nice 5513 I'd be tempted to go for it.
My thoughts also. I traded my 2003 14060M for an 2000 SD. I didn't take a hit since it was a 6 yoa watch w/o a band. I haven't looked back. I liked the sub a bunch, but the SD just suits my needs and suits me better.

Mitch
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 03:01 AM   #16
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Nezam has one in stock I beleive. Like Thomas said stay away from Van Riik, they have a no chinks policy there that really gets my blood boiling. I went in there with the full intention of spending $5000+ but was treated like a theif when my phone rang and I picked it up. The sales woman yelled at me to turn it off. I asked why and she said I could be setting them up to rob them. WTF?????? I later learned that they were robbed a few times before and now treat asians like that.
Funny, when we were in there on the weekend Atomic's phone was ringing away and they didn't seem to mind.......
Old 8 November 2006, 03:03 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
That is so bloody ridiculous!! I would NEVER go back to that place again!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 03:07 AM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Funny, when we were in there on the weekend Atomic's phone was ringing away and they didn't seem to mind.......
That's funny... but completely untrue.

When my phone rang (hutchman on the line) they asked me to leave as well... not the store entirely, just into their triple door 'air lock'.

I'm guessing if you've been robbed immediately after a cell phone call they're a little 'gun shy'. For the record, most La Swiss stores (run by asians) have a 'no munchie cake' policy.
Old 8 November 2006, 03:17 AM   #19
SDman

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Thanks,

Vernon
Bro I would go for SD but you know me....I guess whatever you feel like but I can guarantee you they are both WATER PROOFFF!!!!
SDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2006, 04:07 AM   #20
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

When they went to the triple buzz doors, I pretended that we were in a bio hazard facility, level 4

I even raised my arms.

No munchie cake policy at LaSwiss? I haven't seen them turn away those customers. Hmm.. is that why they kept e-mailing me to sit down and offer me coffee to view the Breitling collection cause I'm asian??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
That's funny... but completely untrue.

When my phone rang (hutchman on the line) they asked me to leave as well... not the store entirely, just into their triple door 'air lock'.

I'm guessing if you've been robbed immediately after a cell phone call they're a little 'gun shy'. For the record, most La Swiss stores (run by asians) have a 'no munchie cake' policy.
Old 8 November 2006, 04:08 AM   #21
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Looking at the SD again, it almost looks like an 14060 since the date window is small enough to make it look like a marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDman View Post
Bro I would go for SD but you know me....I guess whatever you feel like but I can guarantee you they are both WATER PROOFFF!!!!
Old 8 November 2006, 04:11 AM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
When they went to the triple buzz doors, I pretended that we were in a bio hazard facility, level 4

I even raised my arms.

No munchie cake policy at LaSwiss? I haven't seen them turn away those customers. Hmm.. is that why they kept e-mailing me to sit down and offer me coffee to view the Breitling collection cause I'm asian??
Yeah.. it reminds me of the way you'd enter a submarine if you were a diver. LOL

I have negotiated with a La Swiss sales person for a discount to no avail, and yet I've seen asian guys walk in there, browse a bit and get offered a discount on the spot on SS sports models. I don't want to generalize but I've seen it twice there, and heard it once from a friend.
Old 8 November 2006, 04:24 AM   #23
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Damn, sorry John to hear that. I don't speak Chinese myself, but I think if a customer speaks to them in Chinese / Cantonese / Mandarin, they seem to befriend the sales person better. Usually offering cash would get them the deal.

Quote:
Yeah.. it reminds me of the way you'd enter a submarine if you were a diver. LOL

I have negotiated with a La Swiss sales person for a discount to no avail, and yet I've seen asian guys walk in there, browse a bit and get offered a discount on the spot on SS sports models. I don't want to generalize but I've seen it twice there, and heard it once from a friend.
Old 8 November 2006, 04:27 AM   #24
Atomic

Quote:
Damn, sorry John to hear that. I don't speak Chinese myself, but I think if a customer speaks to them in Chinese / Cantonese / Mandarin, they seem to befriend the sales person better. Usually offering cash would get them the deal.
No skin off my nose. I don't buy BNIB watches anyways.

Besides, LS had some dubious corporate practices that led to Rolex Canada pulling their distributorship.

Serves 'em right.
Old 8 November 2006, 04:29 AM   #25
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

That's what they get for doing shady dealings! I guess that's why Omega pulled the plug on them too!

Quote:
No skin off my nose. I don't buy BNIB watches anyways.

Besides, LS had some dubious corporate practices that led to Rolex Canada pulling their distributorship.

Serves 'em right.
Old 8 November 2006, 04:33 AM   #26
Atomic

Quote:
That's what they get for doing shady dealings! I guess that's why Omega pulled the plug on them too!
Funny, cuz Birk's lost Rolex nationally because of having an unauthorized sale... they moved to La Swiss who lost distributorship for questionable business practises... who wants to step up nationally next?

People's? LOL
Old 8 November 2006, 04:38 AM   #27
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

You made me spit out my coffee... .reading "People's".

Quote:
Funny, cuz Birk's lost Rolex nationally because of having an unauthorized sale... they moved to La Swiss who lost distributorship for questionable business practises... who wants to step up nationally next?

People's? LOL
Old 8 November 2006, 04:39 AM   #28
Atomic

Quote:
You made me spit out my coffee... .reading "People's".

I can't think of any other national chain of jewellery stores.
Old 8 November 2006, 08:20 AM   #29
----

Quote:

I can't think of any other national chain of jewellery stores.
Canadian Tire?
Old 8 November 2006, 08:28 AM   #30
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Walmart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Canadian Tire?